• This topic has 24 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by bigG.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Roadbike on a budget… Boardman ?
  • weeksy

Sorry for road content. But i’m debating a road machine with all this crappy weather we’re having and the drain on components on the MTB. So i thought of getting a roadie for the interim.

Something like a s/h carbon boardman ?

I was even looking at a Carrera TDF… that’s silly money, but weighs almost as much as my Giant LOL.

The boardman seems silly light and top spec ? (within reason of course)

phatstanley
    Free Member

this has one has caught my eye:

http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=2502

pretty darn decent for under a grand….

thehustler
    Free Member

If you have acccess to a costco the mekk is a hell of a lot of bike for the 804 notes

weeksy

less than 2 mins drive from me actually.

TiRed

They are fine bikes. Bought a 2010/11 Team for my son, and it’s lovely mix of Tiagra and 105). A second hand carbon is on my list for a training/race bike, as my nice bike is a little too nice for trashing.

xiphon
    Free Member

Canondale CAAD8

I paid around £550 for it – it might ‘only’ be the Sora spec, but its more than adequate.

rootes1

Canondale CAAD8

I paid around £550 for it – it might ‘only’ be the Sora spec, but its more than adequate.

Options:
    http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/m14b0s6p9197/GIANT_Defy_5_Compact_2012

http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/m14b0s6p7668/CANNONDALE_Synapse_Alloy_7_Sora_2011

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Merlin cycles have some offers on their Malt road bikes, worth a look.

vinnyeh

One man’s budget is another’s something or other…

Boardman Road Comp, currently reduced from £799 to £629 at Halfords. Take another £60 off for spending over £600 and it’s £569. Join British Cycling, and get another 10% off, making it £513.

Less money to lose when you decide it isn’t for you… 😉

Not bad for the spec, 20 speed, full carbon fork. Frame has different butting to the Team, so is probably a bit heavier.

philconsequence
    Free Member

i jsut got one from decathlon, careful weeksy…. all it takes is a week and you’ll be thinking “i’ll go out for a quick 20miles on the road bike” in the same time it takes your mates to get ready to even leave the hosue on mtbs!

bikebouy
    Free Member

I bought a Team Carbon as my winter hack/training bike and it’s been a fabulous tool. I’ve only just had to replace the BB (having had the bike 2years now) and I’m not the best when it comes to cleaning, or I am but with a jet wash.. So the bikes been solid, reliable, great fun to ride, it’s a bit long in wheelbase (than my “proper roadie”) and I feel that each time I ride it, but it’s stable at speed, bit sluggish up hills (cos it weighs a few lbs more than “proper roadie”) it’s a solid bike and you can ride it hard with confidence.
    I have raced on it (during last winter) and I was glad I had it.

“most recommended”

SiB
    Free Member

Bought the team carbon a little over two years ago…….hasnt skipped a beat yet and was even launched off a first floor balcony on to tarmac over a year ago with no (visible)damage

user-removed
    Free Member

My mate (bike mechanic) stuck this photo up on Facebook today, with the caption, “Why is it Boarman bikes are such good value for money? Oh yeah.”

I have a Boardman MTB though and it’s taken a proper kicking over the last couple of years with no major issues.

cycleofaddiction
    Free Member

Pmsl SiB, that wouldn’t have been by an irate other half by any chance would it ? I had a mtb take a trip off a balcony once only it did get damaged….

unworthypapalazaru
    Free Member

If he is a bike mechanic, he should know better than posting shite like that.

Anyway, I have the Team carbon from about 2009 or 10. It is excellent, Sram Rival and Ritchey equipped. As you say it is stupidly light and accelerates so quickly. Get one if you can. I got it on bike to work so paid less than the RRP of 1000 – such a bargain!

user-removed
    Free Member

PapLaz – given the photographic evidence above, won’t you concede he may have a point?

aracer
    Free Member

PapLaz – given the photographic evidence above, won’t you concede he may have a point?

Not unless he also gives the rest of the story (and I don’t believe JRA).

user-removed
    Free Member

Official engineer’s* report = too many pies.

*my report, based on knowing nothing at all about what happened.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Got a second hand Team Boardman comp – brilliant bike, great spec. Given me lots of great hours on the road.

mjsmke

I use to be a bike mechanic and would never ride on a boadman frame. They are ok for light riding but the metal is very soft and their corbon frames tend to snap easily. Every BB replacement i did was tricky do to poor threads and soft metal. head tubes stretch easily causing the headset to move.

They are cheap for a reason.

Pros – cheap, light, high spec sram/shimano kit.
    Cons – flexy, weak materials, brittle, have to deal with halfords.

parkesie
    Free Member

Go for it great bike for little cash.
    funnily enough my forks havent snapped and im almost 15 stone and dont travel slow.

jonba
    Free Member

For cheap road bikes I’d suggest you look at:

focus
    edinburgh bike coop
    merlincycles
    ribble cycles
    planet x

Tiagra 10sp is more than good enough for everyday riding. And can easily be upgraded with higher level groupsets (sora can’t as I think it is still 9sp).

Harry_the_Spider

Have at look at these guys…

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/

weeksy

They indeed have some nice bikes and prices… have used them in the past.

Still not 100% on my plans at the moment.

bigG
    Free Member

In defence of Boardman,,, I’m a proper chunker and my team carbon has done a few thousand miles across some awful Scottish roads with no issues at all, my local bike shop has done some work on it, and never complained about any nonsense of soft metals or poor carbon.

For the money the kit is very good value, get over the “oh it’s a Boardman” snobbery, and sling your leg over one. You’ll get a lot more bike for your money than with a lot of other brands.

Let’s be honest, its not a BMC or a Storck quality frame, but are you seriously going to do the mileage that justifies that expense, and is your riding standard high enough to feel the difference?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Roadbike on a budget… Boardman ?’ is closed to new replies.