• This topic has 9 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by ton.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • roadbike for a big un…….best frame material?
  • ton

once read in a article that a oversize aluminium frame was more suitable for a large heavy rider than any other material.

is this so, and if so does anyone know why?

Suggsey
    Free Member

Well I’ve found titanium to be extremely comfortable and forgiving. I had a Giant Alu framed bike with carbon forks previously which was also comfortable but didn’t quite take the sting out of poor road surfaces like the Ti does. I don’t have any experience of steel road bike frame or carbon so can’t comment on them. I went for a Moda Nocturne Ti having test ridden one and been assured about it coping with my then 18 stones.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Probably because manufacturers at the time couldn’t justify the costs of the mould for XL road bikes in carbon!

Carbon is ace, ton.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wilburt
    Free Member

When I’ve seen weight limits on mainstream road bikes its been 120kg. I dont know how you compare to that, also perhaps bearing in mind weight limits are a bit like best before dates you could push that a bit.

Beyond say 130kg I would be tempted with something more steel tourer orientated like a croix der fer, my mate uses one as a winter bike and I still can’t hold his wheel whatever I’m riding.

Would imagine any material could be made up go the job but some are just used more commonly for different for lightweight/load etc.

yunki
    Free Member

jonba
    Free Member

Are you going off the peg? If you think that you would struggle with standard frame sizes then steel is the easiest to get custom.

The counter side to that is that as the frame would be bigger it might flex more so stiffer tubes might be better which may be why oversize aluminium is recommended. Don’t see why carbon would be a problem.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Cannondale Synapse’s come in pretty massive sizes, a guy I know who’s about 6’4″ and fairly hefty has a synapse disc in carbon

MrSmith
    Free Member

Tube to tube jointed custom carbon, so will be built with your size and weight in mind, prices start at £2.5k though so not a budget option

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

How tall are you Ton?
    Got guys over here in the 2m/6’7″ range riding off the peg stuff.

And what sort of thing are you looking for? Tourer, Audax, training, head down arse up?

ton

just looking for something a bit nippier than my tourer, which is steady but obviously very comfy.
    thought about a alloy frame with room for at least a 28c tyre, and fitted with flat bars and comfy contact points.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘roadbike for a big un…….best frame material?’ is closed to new replies.