Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • roadbike brake question
  • big-chief-96
    Free Member

Hi,

every time i pull the rear brake on (shimano tiagra) it stays on after ive let go of the brake lever how can i fix it? ive oiled the spring and semi oiled the brake cable inner is there any sort of adjustment?

13thfloormonk

I had this with mine.

The tolerances between the arms are quite fine, and there is only a wafer thin bushing between them, so any muck or corrosion can cause them to seize.

First thing to try is to blast the inside of the brake with some brake cleaner, let it dry and then blast it with some spray lube (WD40 would probably be OK in this instance). If that doesn’t free it then you’ll need to take it apart to clean the surfaces.

Check the park tools website for a good guide on how to do this, be warned though, its a little more fiddly than you might think, when you put them back together you need to ‘preload’ the bolts that hold them together (similar to cup and cone hubs) which can take a few tries.

In future, if you ride in the wet, spray them with lube or something straight away, otherwise they’ll be seized next time you take the bike out!

Mister-P
    Free Member

It sounds like a snagged cable. Try new a new inner and outer, that will more than likely sort it.

big-chief-96
    Free Member

sorted cheers it was the bolt on the right hand side of the calliper holding the two arms together that was too tight

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘roadbike brake question’ is closed to new replies.