Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Road – where should I stick my pump?
  • mccraque

Acquired a road bike a few months ago and, being a mtber, I cycle with a pack.

Am keen to try and look a little more “road” when on the road bike but am wondering what the best solution for carrying a pump and phone is? Not sure I trust the back (unzipped) pockets of my jerseys and the under saddle pack I have is fine for an innertube and a fiver, but little else.

Help? Any solutions?

simondbarnes

Pump – on frame
    Phone – in pocket

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Bottle cage mounted ones do the job nicely for me. However never underestimate how much crap a jersey pocket will hold.

Pump
    2 tubes
    Tyre levers and a strip of old tube to fix a sidewall.
    Key
    Phone
    Money
    Fuel

Keep the bike well maintained and free the mind of all crap you think you need.

plus-one

Never needed any more than pockets in a cycle Jersey/jacket .. Pump/tube/food/phone/keys etc…

lazybike
    Free Member

Lezyne road drive goes in a backpocket ok, or co2.

tomkerton
    Free Member

Frame is best IMO.

butcher

Most jerseys I’ve had have one small zip pocket for valuables like wallet or phone. Took me a while, but I slowly learned to trust the other pockets with everything else, including camera. They hold pretty well. A decent sized pump could potentially fall out, if it has enough leverage, but they’ll swallow up a lot of the small ones. Either that or throw out the rules, be sensible, and stick the pump on your frame.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Quite a few road jerseys have a fourth zipped pocket for phone or small wallet, but if your jersey is “road fit” the pockets really don’t spill items

pistonbroke
    Free Member

I think the clue is in your Forum Name 🙂

TiRed

My lezne pump sits inside an Elite tool bottle with tools, two tubes, CO2, instant patches ans a small first aid kit. I have a smaller dedicated set up in a pencil case for when two bottles are needed. that sits in a back pocket.

Larger Topeak pumps mount on the frame at the bottle mounts.

scotroutes

Frame. That way you never have to faff around finding it or forget to take it.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Get a proper saddle bag!

BigJohn

Have you noticed what straight backs all the pro riders have?

droppinneutron
    Free Member

Mountain biker here and never rode with ‘a pack’

drewd

As above, my pump is on the frame under the bottle cage, and my phone is in a zipped pocket. Everything else (tube, patches, key etc) are in a small saddle bag.

mjsmke

I use my 2nd bottle cage with a cut down bottle to hold a pump, tube, tools, etc. All wrapped in a sock to stop them rattling.

scruff9252

Small saddle bag containing;
    2*CO2 canisters
    2*tyre levers
    1*tube
    Patches
    Multitool

Saddlebag smaller than than a can of juice.

Sandwich

SKS Airgun mounted under the bottle cage. Saddle bag Topeak Medium wedge hobbies for tube, patches, multi-tool and spare tube. Phone in the jersey pocket in an Exped xxs bag.

chakaping
    Free Member

Pump, phone, key, gels and bars in back pockets.

Tools, tube etc in saddlebag.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I carry a mini pump with combined CO2 inflater in my rear pocket. Phone goes in there too. Tubes, levers, chain quick link and multitool are in a pack under the saddle.

brooess
    Free Member

On the frame? 😯
    Rule #30

mikewsmith
    Free Member

On the frame, if anyone quotes the rules thinking they are serious it means they are offering to carry the pump for you just pop it where the sun doesn’t shine….

thepurist

Pump on frame, all essentials in saddle pack. Less pre ride faff, less chance of realising you left the spare tube on the kitchen table. Rules are for sheep.

dazh

I used to put the pump on my frame, then after about a year when I got a puncture, I took it off and it didn’t work. Don’t know why but presumably from all the dirt and water it had acquired in that time. I’ve put the pump in my pocket ever since.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’ve put the pump in my pocket ever since.

Have you checked to see if it works?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Have you checked to see if it works?

More importantly, is it still there.?

flap_jack
    Free Member

Contrary to Rule 30, Zefal frame pumps are absolutely brilliant, about 10 strokes gets you back above 100psi.

wilburt
    Free Member

Can’t one ot these threads be made a sticky?

The answer btw is a jersey pocket unles your riding with someone else who carries a workshop in which case you use their stuff.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

A couple of spare tubes and co2 cartridges and an appropriate gun ftw. When I had a pump it was mounted on the frame underneath the water bottle. You’ll also be surprised how well road jerseys hold anything you put in them.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

good point Wilburt, though as I wash my jersey and don’t take the same one each time any tips on where to keep it? I reckon on the frame and the rest of the stuff in a bag maybe attached to the saddle perhaps means I should remember to pick it all up when I head out…..

JoB
    Free Member

the amount of times i’ve leant my Zefal HPX pump to someone that’s quoted The Rules earlier in the ride and now needs something to get air in their tyre in less than 20 minutes

so, as above, pump on frame, if your frame will let you do that, some stuff in a saddle-bag, other stuff in pockets, it’s worked for most everyone else for years

brooess
    Free Member

I’m not sure the rules are supposed to be taken seriously!

chakaping
    Free Member

I think the most important thing is to find out what works for you. Not to be ‘more roadie’ for the sake of it.

I put mine in my pocket cos I have two road bikes. It’s easy to switch the saddlebag over with the gubbins in and then I just have to remember a couple of things, so it doesn’t take long to get out the house.

bob_summers

People quote the rules on rides? *shudders*

I preferred cycling before the Internet.

(hpx frame pump in winter. Mini pump stuffed into a folded tubular in the other bottle cage in summer)

wilburt
    Free Member

Everything:
    Tube
    Lever
    Hex key
    Patches
    Fiver
    Pump
    Co2/valve

All goes in a small case that lives on the worktop in my man cave next to my helmet, Garmin, gloves, glasses, gillet and lights. I don’t find it difficult to to select what’s needed before I set of out and put it back when I return. The bike is easier to clean and maintain without stuff strapped to it and things don’t need swapping between bikes.

You can carry stuff however you like btw it doesn’t bother me, I’m sure you feel the same about my arrangements which have been fine tuned over 30 years and work very well for me.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Mini pump in clip by cage. x 2 for 2 road bikes plus whopping big Blackburn on gravel bike 3. 2 tubes plus multitool and chin link in very small saddle pack.
    That leaves right pocket for food, left for cap and plastic pouch with a tenner if on the road.*(don’t take cash in the woods). Middle pocket for spare windproof.
    Phone stays at home as the coiled wire thingy is only a yard long.
    MTB means 2 gas cartridge’s in the camelback.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Tube/Co2 etc. in a tool bottle for me (no pump anymore).

Easier to swap between bikes

iainc

Pumps and multitools in jersey pockets can be nasty in the event of a crash. On road bike I have small pump on a bottle cage mount and tiny lezyne pod seatpack for the rest. On cx bike all in an elite tool bottle.

tom200

I’m not sure the rules are supposed to be taken seriously!

Oh, really. I’ve just finished shaving my legs!

Rebel camelback and baggies al the way.

baldman
    Free Member

Pump on frame under bottle cage, rest of stuff in pockets though I’m changing to a saddle bag to make sure I never forget anything as have forgotten tubes and puncture kit a few times lately when in a rush, one day I know I will them!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Road – where should I stick my pump?’ is closed to new replies.