Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Road wheelsets – £300-400
  • thekingisdead
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend a good performing road wheelset, around this price point.

Also, I’m assuming a 10spd cassette will fit on an 11spd cassette body? Shimano cassette.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Mavics are well worth a go. Just get the most expensive pair you can afford. Shimano are good but you have to keep on top of them maintainance wise.

stevious

The german websites often have good Fulcrum deals. Mine were ace.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Thanks Stevious- Which German sites are they? Rose bikes?

The £/€ could make them worth investigating.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Wheelsmith do sub 1500g clinchers for perhaps just over £400.

Unless its the Exalith coated Mavics, I just can’t get excited by Mavic wheels. Always seems to be something else that’s lighter and a bit more serviceable at a given price point.

Having said that, what about Shimano RS81 C24’s?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Cero AR30’S are excellent ive found. Paid £350 for them, 1395grams the pair. From Cycle division

fubar
    Free Member

Something by Novatec perhaps ?
    Not a lot of rider feedback on them though but I’m thinking of some new wheels and these always look good value for the weight.

stevious

I think I got mine from bike-discount.de during the last Euro crisis. Cost me about £250 for some Racing 3s.

therevokid
    Free Member

+1 fulcrums … got 2 sets and both bomb proof.
    The racing 5’s are the tooth old buggers 🙂

crazybaboon

Cero’s are lovely and light, but made from chocolate!
    They’ve got the smallest bearing I’ve ever seen in a hub except for really exotic stuff, we’ve had loads though the shop with knackered hubs and poor builds

salad_dodger

Agree with Crazyboon re Cero’s. Got so bored having to replace the bearings that I threw the wheels in a skip.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Thanks everyone, I’m now looking at fulcrum 3’s, the shimanos or the novatecs. Hmmmmm

onandon
    Free Member

I’d go with American Classic sprint 350s. Mine were awesome

rocco
    bm0p700f
    Free Member

Go with hand u it wheels for your budget you can get quite a lot And you get something unique. Also hand built is no longer 32 spoke wheels on shallow rims. Things have moved on alot in the last few years.

nickdavies

I’ve been looking at the new stock wheel from just riding along, the jawbone.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

gotta say I’ve gone back to handbuilts these days, at that price point.

Archetypes on something, maybe Hope?

Gee76
    Free Member

How about something from DT Swiss, £539 wheels for nearly half price…

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-new-dt-swiss-r23-road-wheels-1470g

😀

Gary_C

I’ve recently been looking for some new road wheels too, & Ribble are doing the Fulcrum Racing 3’s for £315.95. However, they are selling the Campagnolo Zonda’s at £249.99.

Point being that the Fulcrum’s are made by Campagnolo & the Racing 3 & Zonda I think are one & the same wheel…

trashcanman
    Free Member

Wiggle currently have Racing 3’s for £281.60! … or with the current euro rate Mavic Krysium Elites are about £330 inc postage from 4thebike.

ian martin
    Free Member

Hope hoops with stans alpha rims, well that’s what I have but I was close to buying a Shimano set with the fancy carbon/aluminium rims but decided on a wheel I can rebuild.

eskay
    edhornby

the shimano do look nice – I have fulcrum 5s and I really like them, pretty tough for a low spoke count and feel great. I’ve also heard good things about the superstar pave, apparently they are reynolds rims but with a different sticker 🙂

I would be tempted to get handbuilts at that price, the kit wheels will be less likely to survive a broken spoke because there are so few of them and the manufacturer specific spokes are pricy and mostly not interchangeable

mboy
    Free Member

Gee76’s wheels are as good as you’ll get for the money (largely cos they’re more expensive wheels in the first place, but also cos DT make awesome wheels).

Other than that, Fulcrum/Campag (same company) make probably the stiffest ally clinchers going. I’ve got some Eurus (Racing 1’s) on my bike, they’re awesome! But they’re not perfect (more hassle maintenance wise than some)

The Novatec Jetfly’s are incredible for the money. The performance per £ seemingly unmatched unless you find some more expensive wheels heavily discounted.

Decide on your priorities… Mine was that they had to be as stiff as I could get, and tubeless ready, weight and ease of service were secondary considerations to me, hence the Eurus’. Your priorities may be different.

kahunajb
    Free Member

Zondas and under budget.

fathomer

I’m after a set of wheels in the same price range, was pretty much set on RS81’s but having seen the Ksyrium Elite’s at such a good price I’m now torn.

Anyone have an opinion on what’s the better option?

fubar
    Free Member

having seen the Ksyrium Elite’s at such a good price I’m now torn.

how much and where ?

variflex
    Free Member

have a chat with strada wheels. they built me up a set of h-sons rims on novatec hubs and sapim spokes for pretty much bang on £400. stronger and lighter than anything I could find at that price at the time. totally transformed the bike

globalti
    Free Member

You don’t need to spend £300 – £400. Just buy a set of Superstar Compnents Pavé 28 wheels and you’ll get a fantastic, stiff, light wheelset for £195. They are reviewing incredibly well and I bought a set for my road cycling buddy, let him test them “blind” and he was blown away by them and bought them straight off me.

Here: http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/pave-28-ultra-11speed-wheelset-2024.htm

wobbliscott
    Free Member

+1 for Zonda’s. Get great reviews and feel very solid. I wasn’t after a particularly lightweight wheelset, more reliable and burley. These seem to fit the bill and come with 11 speed hubs so future proofed.

variflex
    Free Member

Strada built me up some fantastic H-Sons rims on Novatech hubs with sapim spokes for £420 a couple of years ago. They are FANTASTIC. Very light but stiff also. Far better than any off the shelf set I could find for the same money, bar any incredible items on sale. As light as my VERY expensive Mavic 125’s but not quite as stiff, but for the money they have been great.

chakaping
    Free Member

Ksyrium Elite’s at such a good price

I don’t think you’d regret them, especially if your username indicates you’re not a lightweight.

Had my set three years now and never had a single problem – while they’re not as light as some I feel the stiffness probably makes up for that.

Some say they’re too narrow, but they ride great with 25c tyres IME.

seanbolton
    Free Member

From Cycledivision

AR30s £379, 1400g

http://www.cycledivision.co.uk/product-info.php?CERO_AR30_Superlight_Alloy_Clincher-pid133.html

Or their cheaper AR24s, £175, 1545g

http://www.cycledivision.co.uk/product-info.php?Cero_AR24_Alloy_Clincher_Wheelset-pid363.html

I have both. They are excellent wheelsets and the AR24s are particularly good value for money.

fathomer

chakaping – Member
    I don’t think you’d regret them, especially if your username indicates you’re not a lightweight.

Had my set three years now and never had a single problem – while they’re not as light as some I feel the stiffness probably makes up for that.

Some say they’re too narrow, but they ride great with 25c tyres IME.

I hope not as there’s now a set attached to my Defy waiting for it’s first ride of the year. But at just under 80kg my username isn’t very representative 😀

13thfloormonk

I’ve recently been looking for some new road wheels too, & Ribble are doing the Fulcrum Racing 3’s for £315.95. However, they are selling the Campagnolo Zonda’s at £249.99.

I’ve been looking at these, I’ve noticed that there seems to be a big price difference between clincher and tubeless rims, so the cheaper Zondas might be clincher (I’m assuming therefore drilled rims) while the Fulcrums might be tubeless (or ‘2-way fit’ in Fulcrum lingo).

I wondered how much difference it would make, I like the idea of cheaper, lighter clincher rims, but wondered if it makes a difference to stiffness, as there is less material in the rim.

I also wonder how sacrilegious it would be to put Campag wheels on a Cannondale with Shimano all over it, seems wrong… 8)

chakaping
    Free Member

I hope not as there’s now a set attached to my Defy waiting for it’s first ride of the year. But at just under 80kg my username isn’t very representative

Oops, the curse of the resurrected thread.

Mine are on a Defy Advanced now. They make a nice match because the frame is so comfy anyway, it can take a firm-feeling wheel without being unduly harsh.

davosaurusrex

Got a set of aksiums that came on my bike and I’ve been pleased with but fancy something a bit lighter. Tempted by the fulcrum racing 3s from wiggle at 280, would I notice much difference? Apologies for the hijack

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Road wheelsets – £300-400’ is closed to new replies.