Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Road wheelset
  • mikey74
    Free Member

What wheelset for £300-400?

My current wheels are around 1550g, so around that or lighter. I weight around 70kg, so not a heavyweight, although the roads around here are terrible so they need to take a beating.

Ideally they should have cartridge bearing hubs, rather than cones.

mboy
    Free Member

What wheelset for £300-400?

My current wheels are around 1550g

Errr… Your current wheelset, and save yourself £300-400!

Shimano RS81 C24’s are about the lightest available to fall within your budget, and you’ll save yourself a massive 30g for the privilege of spending hundreds of punds!

geetee1972
    Free Member

What Mboy said. There’s very little difference anyway between a £300 wheel set and £500 wheel; mostly its in the hub so even if you upped your budget you still wouldn’t see much benefit. Biggest improvement would be in aerodynamics but you’ll need a deeper wheel and a few hundred quid more in your budget.

globalti
    Free Member

If these are as good as, or slightly better than the Pave 28s that they have superceded, they will be superb:

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/dt-swiss-pave28-wheelset.htm

Strongly recommended. My son and my buddy both have the Pave 28 wheels and they feel like a £500 wheelset, though they only cost £195.

drovercycles
    Free Member

I don’t think you’d see any worthwhile benefits going to a £400 wheelset. If you up your budget a little, you could look at something like the Mavic Ksyrium SLS at 1395g – top quality sealed-bearing hubs with a fast pickup and a fair bit of reduction in rotating mass.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Max pressure on those Superstar Pave 28s is 100psi? 😯 What are they made of, Swiss Cheese?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I jumped on a pair of Zonda’s when they were on offer thinking i’d be getting an upgrade from the Giant whilst that came with my Giant Defy. The reality is they are no different at all. Sure they look nicer and the rear hub/freewheel feels nicer, but weight difference is not noticeable according to the hand scales. So don’t expect to notice a difference.

mikey74
    Free Member

So, it didn’t occur to any of you that my current wheelset actually needs replacement? I like the wheels but the free hub is on it’s way out and the rims need replacing.

They are Pro Lite Braccianos and have been brilliant: I would buy another set if they currently had a UK distro, as it is I am looking at other options.

geetee1972
    Free Member

So, it didn’t occur to any of you that my current wheelset actually needs replacement?

Doh!

How about Panceti SL23s on a hub of your choice with CX Rays. Built on say a 24/28 combo. Maybe avoid the Archetype as recent reports on the quality of those is very poor.

Have a look at Strada Wheels. They are excellent.

mikey74
    Free Member

Strada huh? Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll have a look.

DT78
    Free Member

Wiggle have braccianos in stock

mikey74
    Free Member

Ooooo so they do.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Pro Lite Braccianos

Hard to beat these for weight to cost ratio. If you like them, I’d just get another set.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Road wheelset’ is closed to new replies.