Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Road wheelset
  • td75
    Free Member

I’ve finally worn through my 10 yr old rear road wheel. I’ve been looking at the Planet X A-57 Cyclo-Cross Wheelset. Any body got any of these? Are they any good? How do they compare to a Mavic open pro / Tiagra hub wheel.

Other option is to rebuild the rear rim with a new one.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

I bought a set of px a57 wheels earlier this year. Bearings on the rear lasted around 500 road miles. I would avoid.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

get the mavics, no question about it.

jimc101
    Free Member

Not a fan of PX wheels and I have a lot of PX stuff I really like; have had a few sets which came with bikes, the the freehubs all seem to be made of a very soft alu, so the cassettes gouge them deeply, had a rim bend on a 2cm curb which I have ridden many times with other wheels. Sold the last set I got on a bike before even using them.

Have ridden thousand of km’s on Fulcrums, with no issues, same for Mavics, both better choices for very similar money.

td75
    Free Member

Thanks. I was thinking to stay with the Mavic’s. But the Planet X seemed so cheap. I will avoid them.

Cheers

pebblebeach
    Free Member

I should add that the bearings were replaced under warranty after a bit of a fight, took around forever to get the wheels back, lasted even fewer miles before the bearings went again on the rear. A bit shite really.

rondo101
    Free Member

I’ve not tried to order any myself, so not sure how it works, but Rose Bikes have Open Pros on tiagra hubs for £131 the set. They always seem to show as out of stock, so not sure if they build them to order like Merlin.

BrickMan

Another name to avoid (for general road use) is american classics, bearings in them are so tiny and pathetic they only last 2k miles absolute tops. Great for race day and special occasions but not general use.

Most mavic’s are built to be used, and you can get the parts for them upto (I think) 8 years from their new year (i.e. 2010 was the last year for 2002 drive side spokes in yellow etc) and they are fairly sensibly priced, unlike shimano. Tried to order a freehub for an XTR wheel the other day, was an M960 (so not ancient) and the cost was about 7x that of the next tier (XT) at a staggering £120. Wasn’t even tightanium or carbonium. Pathetic.

lunge

Anyone got any thoughts on the PX carbon wheels? I quite fancy a pair but if they are not great I too will look at some Mavic’s, Kysrium’s suspect.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

lunge – Member
    Anyone got any thoughts on the PX carbon wheels? I quite fancy a pair but if they are not great I too will look at some Mavic’s, Kysrium’s suspect.

They’re supposedly pretty good. Wheelsmith also do some aswell.

But Ksyriums are a completely different wheel.

lunge

davidtaylforth, in what way different? I just want a good pair of wheels for general road riding, £500 ish, ideally nearer to £400. The PX ones look great for the money, the Mavic’s look like a fairly standard, obvious choice.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

davidtaylforth, in what way different? I just want a good pair of wheels for general road riding, £500 ish, ideally nearer to £400. The PX ones look great for the money, the Mavic’s look like a fairly standard, obvious choice.

go to just riding along, get them to build you some.

Janesy
    Free Member

Me and a mate have done 4 k road miles with American classic areo 420’s and bearings are perfect. Wheels are lush.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Road wheelset’ is closed to new replies.