Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • road wheels that cope with sheffield potholes?
  • annette
    Free Member

I am looking for replacement wheels for my road bike.

I commute across Sheffield (a few hills, tarmac full of potholes), so wheels need to be light(ish), but more importantly they need to be able to cope with some abuse. Not being thrown across the road in a cross wind would also be an advantage for the occasional ride into the Peak district. Ideally I’d rather not spend more than £350 for the pair. Is this actually possible?

jota180
    Free Member

I have a set of these on one of my bikes and they’ve been pretty tough

http://road.cc/content/review/6577-pro-lite-bracciano-wheelset

lots of places have them for £300

Ladders
    Free Member

Why not get a pair of hand builts?

I’ve found that factory wheels all seem to have about 6 spokes in them, so when one breaks the whole wheel taco’s! If you get a decent set of 32 spoked wheels with double butted spokes they will be a bit more elastic, plus if a spoke does break it will hold it’s shape better. Plus you’ve got more chance of getting a spare from any bike shop.

teasel
    Free Member

I’ve hammered a pair of Aksiums for a fair few years now. They were used this weekend on some rooty trails around Epping (albeit wearing Kenda SB8s) and they survived unscathed and still true.

1855g or there abouts (apparently) so not what some refer to as light…

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d go handbuilt – open pro should be OK? No need to spend £350 unless you want light weight.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

You’d be surprised how strong normal road wheels are. I’ve run open pro’s on 105 hubs & currently a standard pair of Aksiums for cross racing without any problems at all. Rode the singletrack in the local woods last night without any issues as well.

matthew_h
    Free Member

A pair of handbuilts would be ideal. Open Pro rims on Shimano 105 hubs should be spot on.

joemarshall
    Free Member

If you’ve got £350, then you could buy an open pro + shimano rear wheel and open pro + dynamo hub front wheel and a B+M iq cyo dynamo light. Be lovely and strong (fine on potholes) and a dynamo light is just the perfect commuter light.

cp

I use 105 hubs on mavic open sports with aci double butted spokes, component cost £110 and I built them myself. brilliant strong stiff wheels.

ratherbeintobago

Can you not get a pair of Hope Hoops on 32h Open Pros for less than £300?

Andy

christhetall
    Free Member

No suggestions, but this is the reason why I commute in Sheffield on an old MTB with slicks 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

chris, you are missing a trick, 700c wheels will roll better over bad road surfaces 🙂

jonba
    Free Member

FOr me at £350 doing what you are doing it would be handbuilts.

Don’t like shimano hubs so I’d say Hope laced to a good rim like open pro or A23 with a 32 3 cross spoke count.

Might even be a set of hoops that is that setup. Or have a look on just riding along.

MSP

If its that bad go for 36 spokes, you really won’t notice the weight of an extra 4 spokes.

annette
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions 🙂 hand built may well be the way forward. Do Hope hubs for road bikes make that loud but soothing ticking noise that the MTB ones do when you freewheel? If so, that would be very useful for warning unobservant pedestrians not to step on to the road in front of me!

matthew_h
    Free Member

Yup, the Hope road hubs are just as noisy as their mountain bike hubs.

annette
    Free Member

Splendid.

jamesco

Or have a look on just riding along

Was gonna suggest these lads but you beat me to it. Check out their website , or call in if you are north end of town, friendly lads with coffee and biscuits and you can watch them work.

RealMan
    Free Member

Shimano rs80s would be what I would go for. Got quite a few mates running them now, they really are lovely. About 1500g or so, and around £300. Also they’re carbon (sort of)…. wohhhhhh…… carbon wheeels….. 😯

crikey
    Free Member

You’re all stark raving mentally mad.

These wheels are for commuting, which means they will be dirty and wet for 6 months of the year, probably get a cursory wash every 3 months.

Just buy the cheapest Shimano wheelset you can, they’re about £100 if that, and ride it until it dies.

Handbuilt wheels for commuting on? Carbon sort of for commuting on?

…walks away shaking head.

fizzicist
    Free Member

another vote for justridingalong – they’re really helpful and helped me spec up a set of ZTR Olympics for my hardtail which have been brilliant.

annette
    Free Member

> These wheels are for commuting, which means they will be dirty and wet for 6 months of the year, probably get a cursory wash every 3 months.

True, but I also occasionally do longer non-commuting road rides on hilly terrain. My current wheels weigh a ton and do not cope with potholes very well. Some sort of middle ground (commuting versus long days out) would be ideal, as I don’t want to keep swapping wheels all the time.

It is too easy to get carried away looking at all the bling available though….

crikey
    Free Member

I bought some Shimano r500 wheels many years ago now, and still use them as my rainy wet horrible weather wheels. I think they were £70 for the pair.

Bit flexible when you try to sprint for town signs, and the bearings in the rear are a bit grindy now, but they have had the best part of 2-3000 miles worth of wear each winter and spring for…dunno, must be 5 or 6 years.

It’s not worth killing nice wheels by commuting on them in my opinion.

zilog6128

I have Open Pros on Pro2 rear, front Shimano dynamo. Seem very strong, do bridleway commute every day, occasional singletrack. Takes abuse going up/down kerbs a lot (especially with loaded panniers).

ahwiles
    Free Member

crikey – Member

I bought some Shimano r500 wheels many years ago now, and still use them as my rainy wet horrible weather wheels. I think they were £70 for the pair.

Bit flexible when you try to sprint for town signs, and the bearings in the rear are a bit grindy now, but they have had the best part of 2-3000 miles worth of wear each winter and spring for…dunno, must be 5 or 6 years.

It’s not worth killing nice wheels by commuting on them in my opinion.

i agree with this ^ fella.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘road wheels that cope with sheffield potholes?’ is closed to new replies.