Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Road wheels on my winter MTB commuter. Anyone done it before?
  • gothandy

A mate has offered me some 700mm rims laced to mtb hubs. Weird I know but they are going cheap and in theory at least they should be fine for my winter commuting hard tail?

Anyone done it before?

aP
    Free Member

Yes. Easier now with discs than having to change the brake stud position.

ratherbeintobago

Road wheels on my winter MTB commuter. Anyone done it before?

You mean apart from Cannondale? (The first Bad Boy was an F-series HT frame painted black with 700C wheels). And there was this thread a while ago.

Andy

giantjason
    Free Member

yeah i did this before.

nothing wrong with it and saves having several bikes if you dont have the space.

rOcKeTdOg

works a treat

DSC00065 by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

i recommend using a road cassette with MTB chainrings or it'll be lacking in a high speed gear

gothandy

Thanks for the positive responses.

Sorry ratherbeintobago I'll check the archive better next time!

ratherbeintobago

Sorry ratherbeintobago I'll check the archive better next time!

I did it the other week about singlespeeds, so it's easily done, especially when the hamsters are tired…

Andy

simondbarnes

i recommend using a road cassette with MTB chainrings or it'll be lacking in a high speed gear

Every mtb cassette I've ever used has had a higher top gear (11t sprocket) than every road cassette I've ever used (12t sprocket)

njee20
    Free Member

Well you get plenty of road cassettes with 11s and MTB cassettes with 12s, but yes it's certainly worth checking, the closer ratios of a road cassette may well be welcome.

Back OT, Mavic actually do a set of wheels for exactly this purpose, the Speed City, been around for years.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Road wheels on my winter MTB commuter. Anyone done it before?’ is closed to new replies.