Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • road wheels – noob advice
  • elbiddos
    Free Member

Hi folks

Just sold my shitty first house and, having owned it for 14 years, am chuffed as nutts to have made about £500 profit on it. As any sensible person would do I feel it a better investment to treat myself to some wheels for my roadie.

Its a 2010 Boardman – truly unremarkable but I loves her so. Should I get some wheels made up or can you really get a decent off the shelf pair for that? Or shall I just save my money? Obviously this is in the want not need category like most MAMILS.

Finally, if I do buy, do I transfer my cassette, or is that part of the wheel I buy? Like I say, proper noob.

TIA GUYS.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

You could look in the classifieds and buy a certain set of Hope Road wheels ###blatantadvertising### 😆
    edit- wheels are a great upgrade but unless you plan to go racing buy something that will last and are easy to service. Hope/DT Swiss are a good start. 10/11 speed use the same freehub (where the casette sits)
    Tyres are another good upgrade to basic wheels. Conti GP 4000 are a brilliant all round tyre and get great reviews

Bez

Well… what’s wrong with your current wheels that new ones will solve?

mrblobby
    Free Member

What Bez asked.

Decent set of all rounders with not much to go on other than a 500 quid budget. DT Swiss RR21. Shimano RS81 C35 (if happy with cup and cone.) Hunt Wheels Aero Wide. Or handbuilt from dcrwheels using his hubs and rims (have a set myself.)

Oh and as monkeysfeet said, if you do get some nice wheels, don’t spoil it with crap butyl tubes and hard rubber. Get some decent tyres and some latex tubes.

Finally, if I do buy, do I transfer my cassette, or is that part of the wheel I buy?

You’ll have to swap cassette over. Depending on wear it may be a good time just to get a new cassette and chain too.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Only £500 profit after 14 years 😯

Anyhow.

Looking at wheels myself.

Cheap CRC Prime road wheels 1500g ish £179

Superstars Pave roughly about £200 depending which day of the week they have a sale on. Mixed reviews either brilliant or shit.

Campag Zonda c17 £330 awsumz apparently

Those are the ones I’ve been looking at, all about the 1550g mark a set

Still undecided

Edit you can pay £400 to save 50g on the likes of Hunt etc, or maybe 50-100g on carbon wheels if you pay £700 upwards

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Campag Zonda C17s are often raved about.

DezB
    Free Member

to you too

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I built some 1250g alloy wheels using Stans rims and novatec hubs. Probably a bit fragile and the braking surface is apparently quite thin so not good all weather wheels.

But The hubs are good, and you’d be around 1500g with more normal rims, HPlusSon or A23’s, or the classic Mavic Open Pro.

10/11 speed use the same freehub (where the casette sits)

No they don’t, 11s road freehubs are longer as unlike MTB cassettes they can’t offset the big ring.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Someone else mentioned Shimano RS81 C35’s and they are a very decent general purpose option. I ran my own 2010 Boardman Team Carbon on those and they’ve been been great. On the other hand you can get some very good 2nd hand bargains – especially if you don’t need 11-speed compatible wheels. I picked up a set of Dura-ace C24’s that way for about £200 (and came with a Dura-ace cassette and some nearly new GP4000’s).

Only £500 profit after 14 years

I’m not going to comment on how much my London flat went up in value in the 2 years I owned it…

mugsys_m8

I found Just Riding Along’s handbuilt Jawbone wheelset very good value and light. They use the Pacenti sl23 rim and can be used tubeless. Good and strong as well: I bough them for my cyclocross and rode the Torino Nice Rally gravel thing on them.

TiRed

Ksyrium Elites. Great off-the-peg wheels.

Or some handbuilts. But I like the Mavics. They run tubeless very well too.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I found Just Riding Along’s handbuilt Jawbone wheelset very good value and light. They use the Pacenti sl23 rim and can be used tubeless

2nd vote here for them. I’ve had a set for 2 years now. They are great.

mrblobby
    Free Member

JRA do their Lark rims now, look pretty good. You can get the Pacenti Forza as an upgrade.

Ksyrium Elites. Great off-the-peg wheels.

Put off by Mavic a bit as they always seem to have some proprietary bits in their wheelsets that aren’t in stock anywhere or need special parts or tools to fix. I begrudge paying the money for a pair of tyres that’ll just be tossed to the back of the shed too. Shame as otherwise nice wheels.

ctk
    Free Member

Superstar have some cheap wheels at the mo. Fulcrum 3s also worth a look. A nice set of tyres will make a difference. Go 25c if your not already.

13thfloormonk

Shimano Ultegras give you most of the benefits of the RS81s minus the aero carbon faring, saves you a wee bit of money for fancy tyres.

Pretty much on a par with the Racing 3s in that respect, both have easily adjustable cup and cone bearings as well, just requiring standard allen keys and your fingers, easy to maintain perfectly adjusted bearings all the time and in theory lower rolling resistance than cartridge (just threw that in there for controversy, probably only noticeable in lab conditions 😉 ).

Pretty sure Zondas are identical to racing 3s, buy whichever is cheapest!

elbiddos
    Free Member

thanks all – some great advice here. To pick up on some points made…

Well… what’s wrong with your current wheels that new ones will solve?

Not alot apart from a bit of damage from bumps and erm having the shoes in the wrong position and wrecking the decals . I fully admit to just wanting to treat myself to something that may improve the ride.
    Like the idea of tubeless too.

Only £500 profit after 14 years

Bought just pre crash – inner city Nottingham. FML.

I’m not going to comment on how much my London flat went up in value in the 2 years I owned it…

I bet you could buy TWO new sets of wheels

Running 25c on the back at the mo. Was a good move.

Gonna check out the campags and Jawbones. Cheers all!

continuity
    Free Member

Are you racing or riding?

If riding normally – a set of archetypes on 240’s or 180’s.

If racing, a secondhand set of 40-50mm clinchers from eBay or make up your own chinese carbons.

Otherwise, spend it on riding clothes. A full set of rapha / castelli / e.t.c significantly improve your general riding experience more than any bike upgrade.

elbiddos
    Free Member

Are you racing or riding?

mainly riding with a bit of eventing too.

Otherwise, spend it on riding clothes. A full set of rapha / castelli / e.t.c significantly improve your general riding experience more than any bike upgrade.

Thats a nice idea.

wilburt
    Free Member

Go on Wiggle order some Fulcrum Quattros or Campag Zondas make sure there the 17m version some nice 25mm tyres, some tubes(with long valves) and a cassette of your choice.

Spend the remainder on a good curry and few beers.( or kit)

ctk
    Free Member

Lost £15k in inner city Nottm doing as you did. So could be worse!

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Hand built Hope on Stan’s.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘road wheels – noob advice’ is closed to new replies.