Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • road wheels for a fatty ?
  • slimjim78
    Free Member

Totally loving my steel road bike with modern 10sp parts, but the only upgrade I can lavish upon her is a nicer set of wheels.

Im currently using a PX cheapy 32sp count set of wheels which are great, but im wondering whats out there thats a wee bit lighter, and perhaps more aero?

Im also a heavy rider so need to consider strength. Plus budget is £300 max.

So, what should I be looking at? off the shelf? custom build?

Mavic Cosmic any good?
    2nd hand King wheelset?

Aero or standard rims?

Any decent suggestions welcome

Ed2001
    Free Member

Do you ride fast enough to worry about aero?

slimjim78
    Free Member

Do you ride fast enough to worry about aero?

what speed do you recommend?
    I tend to average 21mph on my favourite 20 mile loop. also have a couple triathlons coming up where ill be aiming to go flat out for as long as possible

Rosrchach – I like the idea of a PX carbon wheelset, but whats the longevity like? And will they take a lardy hitting a pot hole at 30mph?

slimjim78
    Free Member

jota – ive tried the hope open pro’s before, they aren’t for me.

Rorschach
    Free Member

They’re shimano carbon/alu rimmed wheels.I’ve been training/racing cross on mine for a while (and I’m 90kg) and they’ve been fine.You do have to keep an eye on the hubs as they are cup/cone.
    I’m just about to swap the front hub after 2 years of abuse 🙂

Wookster

Open pros on Miche hubs?

slimjim78
    Free Member

theres a bewildering choice out there. where’s the best place to browse/buy?

and are King hubs noisy/draggy?

Ed2001
    Free Member

Sorry Jim I was just asking the question, it was the fatty and aero in the same sentence that threw me,I didn’t realise you were a budding triantelope.

stick_man

Fulcrum racing 3’s are ideal for heavier riders

convert

As a bigger unit, wider tyres are not a bad plan. Not massive but 23mm minimum, but 25mm a better option. With that in mind the Velocity A23 rims are a good plan as they are a bit wider and work as a more aero combination with a wider tyre. Not proper full on aero but better than some. Seem nice and strong for the bigger rider too.

slimjim78
    Free Member

im happy to stick with 23mm’s, have done a couple thousand miles so far without much to grumble about.

like I said, im happy with my cheapo PX wheels (A57’s) but the old girl deserves something a bit lighter and faster, im also keen to see how much extra zip can be perceived when switching to a good quality wheelset. Is it possible within my budget?

topgunsteve
    Free Member

How heavy are you? I’m a big lad, 115kg. After looking around extensively I found that shimano wheels do not have a max rider weight limit. I’ve been riding the RS30 wheelest for 18 months and they’ve been fine. Just bought some RS80 50mm carbon clinchers and these are great. Bear in mind that you’ll probably be wanting an aluminium braking surface if you’re a big boy

4ags4
    Free Member

For me it would be a set of good quality handbuilts with an Ambrosio hub and open pro rim – durable and reasonable weight.
    Alternately a set of 2nd hand Ksyrium Elites if you can find some – light, and in my experience, bomb proof.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘road wheels for a fatty ?’ is closed to new replies.