Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Road wheels – creaking freehub/cassette?
  • scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Bought a jawbone wheelset from jra last May and used them throughout the summer. The springlike quality of today made me think about sticking them back on, but then I remembered the creaking.

The wheels would be fine at first, but after around 100 miles I noticed a creaking which I narrowed down to the rear hub/cassette. I thought it was because my steel cassette had damaged the freehub at first, so I bought a new freehub and replaced the cassette with an aluminium caged version as the old one was quite worn anyway.

Put everything back together and the bike was fine – 100 miles later, the same problem. I ended up whipping the cassette off after 100 miles, putting it back on – and repeating after another 100 miles. Admittedly it did only take a minute but was a bit of a pain.

Anyone had anything like this? Worth going back to jra on, or just put up with it?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

missing a spacer behind the cassette?
    maybe give your axle/dropouts/skewers a clean.
    could be the spokes rather than the freehub….

aroyalnit
    Free Member

I had something very similar once. I gave up and got the LBS to check it out, they solved it by putting a bit more freehub grease in

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Road wheels – creaking freehub/cassette?’ is closed to new replies.