Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Road Wheel Upgrades
  • johnw1984
    Free Member

After having given a decent road ride a go and really enjoying it, I’ve decided to go further with the bike and buy a few upgrades.

I don’t want to spend too much (already decided on a Planet X Pro Carbon Fork). I’m looking at upgrading the wheels with a few points to bear in mind.

Must be able to take my weight (14 stone 10 pounds)
    Reliable
    Good value (cheap!)
    Compatible with current 8 speed setup.

I’ll most likely also get a carbon seat post of some sort too.

Link to bike.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/re-purposing-a-ridgeback-genesis-day-01

Suggestions please 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

Pretty much anything will. Given your other criteria I’d be looking for a s/h pair of Mavic Open Pro rims on 105 hubs – or maybe Open Sport on RX100 if you want to save a bit more money and can find some (you’re unlikely to notice the difference in performance, but there’s likely to be less around for sale). Probably some other options in Shimano hubs below 105, but I’m not quite up will all the lower end groups they’ve released. Alternative older rims are MA2 or MA3.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Cheers for the suggestions. To be honest, most things will be an upgrade to what’s on there now. I just want to avoid buying “known lemons” really.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’ve been really chuffed with my Campagnolo Zonda’s. I bought them on a whim when Wiggle were doing them on offer, they had some really good write-ups and I thought ‘what the hell’. They’ve been pretty rock steady and i’m no lightweight at 92kg’s, and use them for commuting to work with a hefty rucksack on my back too. They’re still running true after 18 months on the rough and pot-holed roads around me.

rascal
    Free Member

Got some Fulcrum Racing 3s with Conti GP4000S II and tubes for £335 from Merlin a few months ago (were £450 for wheels only). No complaints here.

akira

Hunt wheels are very nice.

Sandwich

Road cc did a review of tubeless ready wheels yesterday (Monday). That might be worth a look as there were some bargain wheels with light weights to be had.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Thanks all for the suggestions. Quite a few options there to consider.

ctk
    Free Member

Ultegra @ £240 ish
    or Fulcrum 5 @ £160 ish

To me are the best deals out there at the mo.

johnw1984
    Free Member

To be honest, I thought the Fulcrum ones sounded like good value, but wasn’t sure how good they were.

globalti
    Free Member

Ultegra wheels look excellent for the money.

mrjmt
    Free Member

I have both, the ultegras are a lot nicer to ride and have a much higher quality appearance – I always think the racing 5 hubs look a bit ‘plastic’.

Just serviced the hubs on my ultegras last night too, really easy with the new adjustment system, I thought it was easier than swapping cartridge bearings in a hub, and less chance of damaging anything.

twisty

Forget the seatpost it will make no difference.
    Save that budget on decent wheels instead.
    Get something with wider rims e.g. hed belgium c2 and run 25c or larger tyres.

freddiest

How about these? Almost new, leaving more for a carbon set.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/shimano-r500-road-bike-wheels-with-tyrestubes

alexxx
    Free Member

What prices do carbon wheels start becoming a consideration?

lunge

What prices do carbon wheels start becoming a consideration?

Unless you’re buying for show, £1k ish.

alexxx
    Free Member

nuts! I say go for those ultegra’s then 😀

alexxx
    Free Member

BTW superstar have a sale on at the moment:

look in the price ballpark maybe?

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/arc-cx-ray-probuild-volta-11speed-clearance-dealx.htm

alexxx
    Free Member

Hmm one thought… what hub are you going to get as aren’t all new wheels mainly going to be 11speed? Are they backwards compatible to 9 / 10 speed?

Turns out yes they do..:
    This hub is compatible with 11 speed Shimano cassettes. With included spacer 8, 9 and 10 speed systems can be used also.

also 25% off with this code even on the discounted wheels:

25XF

johnw1984
    Free Member

Thanks everyone! I’ve gone from wondering what’s decent to having too many to choose from!

My inner tart is liking the Superstar wheels and I’ve had a set of their 26 inch wheels before and liked them.

Sensible head is saying Ultegra though. Hmm, I best get working out how much I wan to spend. Ideally, not too much as the bike isn’t the best, it’s more of a sentimental value.

Leigh2612
    Free Member

@lunge….curious if that is just in relation to weight?
    I had some unbranded 60mm carbon rims for a bit on my last bike and I noticed a difference at speed, they also were lighter than the wheels they replaced.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Chinese carbon wheels did catch my eye, but they may be a bit overkill for my bike.

I wouldn’t want to get some crap wheels that are more expensive than decent branded alu wheelsets just because aero and carbon.

Happy to be shown otherwise though 🙂

alexxx
    Free Member

I bought some of the superstar ones .. Replacing r500s – the superstar ones for 200 quid are as light as all others states and easy to repair and maintain.. I think they are a good shout on the type of bike you’ve mentioned.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Right… my Wife is giving me £200 to spend for my birthday and I’ve decided it should go to road wheels.

top contenders at moment

1. Superstar in the link above (with code)
    2.Fulcrum 5

Are the Mavic Aksium Elite worth a look?
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mavic-aksium-elite-road-wheelset-2016/rp-prod140603

wilburt
    Free Member

Zondas

johnw1984
    Free Member

Zondas are a little out of budget unfortunately. Are they really worth the extra £60ish over the other options?

I do like to look of them 🙂

akira

Fulcrum racing quattros are nice. Ivr had some of the superstar ones and they’re good for the money.

turbo1397
    Free Member

Have you considered hunt wheels?

johnw1984
    Free Member

akira mentioned Hunt wheels, but I think they are a bit too pricey for me at moment. It looks like I’d have to wait till September for cheapest version on their site too.

@akria, The Quattros look good for the money too! They are now a top contender 🙂

johnw1984
    Free Member

Well…

Because no one likes an unfinished thread, I bought the Fulcrum Racing Quattro LG wheels, which left me some over to get some proper road pedals.

I’ll stick some pics up when they arrive tomorrow. Next on the list is a carbon fork! Been looking at the Planet X one for £50.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Road Wheel Upgrades’ is closed to new replies.