Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Road wheel on a hybrid…
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I put a pair of Shimano R500 (or whatever it is) wheels on my hybrid. I put in a longer axle and the spacers, so it fit the frame. However, the rim itself seems still to be over to the left – the V brakes look like this \ \ instead of \ /

So the question is, are road wheels somehow dished differently to MTB ones?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

No can't be really as the freehub will be the same width on either type of bike, wouldn't it?

Are you sure you've spaced it correctly?

How much is it out by? Maybe tweak the spokes if it's just a mm or so.

I'm assuming that the distance from the centreline of the rim to the drive side dropout would be the same? So it's just the non-drive side that needs spacing out more.

Possible the road bike brakes were't aligned correctly and the wheel was off centre. Best to put it in a jig and centre it that way.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Or5 maybe it would be out of alignment on an mtb/hybrid frame? Narrower spacing so less dish on a road wheel? If so, then I'd imagine it would be too far over to the right?

(Toddles off to try it out on own road and hybrid bikes)

cynic-al
    Free Member

You did put 2.5mm of spacers on both sides?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Following investigation:

Ah yes; I tried it just by tightening up the QR on the hybrid to take up the extra 5mm, and the wheel is centred, so it would need re-centering, yes. Should be able to sort it out be re-tensioning the spokes though. Again, best done in a proper jig for accuracy.

Not a very scientific investigation and I might have it all completely wrong so please ignore if that's the case.

In fact all I think I've achieved is confuddling myself. 😀

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I think Cynic-Al is closer to the Truth. I'm just an idiot unfortunately.

molgrips
    Free Member

I did put 2.5mm of spacers on each side, yes. Then the wheel was way out. So I decided the spacers needed to go on the non-drive side, since there was a great big gap between the small sprocket and the frame which isn't how other bikes are. Did this, and it helped but not by much.

New brake pads in order, they may have worn asymmetrically.

JonR
    Free Member

My missus V brakes looked like this and it was because the spacers on the brake pads weren't even and the springs had been adjusted to compensate.

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm.. something to check! I thoguht they were but should look again.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Yep that could be it. Your wheel should surrently be out to 2.5mm to RHS.

pics?

molgrips
    Free Member

It's too far to the LEFT. By a fair bit.

No pics til the weekend I'm afraid 🙁

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Road wheel on a hybrid…’ is closed to new replies.