Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Road wheel builders – help needed
  • onandon
    Free Member

Hi all,

I have a set of American Classic road wheels. I’m thinking of taking the hubs to use with some light bike 45/25mm rims.

The current wheels are spoked as follows
    Front 24h Radial | rear 24h 3-Cross Drive, Radial non-Drive side

Do you think it would be better to start again with new Hubs, or would repeating that spoke pattern be ok?
    Or what alternative lacing would be better ?
    The current rims are only 310 grams each so the carbon rims would be much stiffer.

Also’ anyone know know any decent builders in north Hampshire or Berkshire?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Also’ anyone know know any decent builders in north Hampshire or Berkshire?

That’s my neck of the woods, I’m more “can build wheels” than “decent builder” though. Having said that after the first few teething troubles they’ve all been perfect.

I laced my road wheels 24h radial on the front and 28h 2x on both sides on the back. 24h 3x is overkill, more crosses doesn’t make it stronger, and having different lacings on DS and NDS is mostly a fashion thing, the fact that Shimano, Mavic, Fulcrum, etc aren’t consistent backs up that opinion. They’ve survived so far (stans alpha, novatec hubs, revolution spokes, ~1250g).

RustyMac

Is there anything abnormal with the hub drilling on the rear? or is it 12 holes drive side 12 holes non drive side?

There would be nothing to stop you changing the lacing patterns of the wheels if they are standard hub drilling.

onandon
    Free Member

Both front and rear drillings are 12 / 12 so lots of possible options. Just going on what American Classic did with the 310 gram rims. They’re pretty stiff considering the weight (1200 grams) so just thinking this would translate to a mega stiff rear if using a deep section rim.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Road wheel builders – help needed’ is closed to new replies.