Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Road wheel build – spokes
  • trickydisco
    Free Member

Currently pricing up a rear wheel build as my planet x model b rear has hit the dust. Have started doing research and realise it’s an absolute minefield

I’m looking at using a kinlin xr200 (395g) in 28h and whacking some dt laser spokes

Research suggests:

* Aero spokes (cx rays) very little difference and not worth the extra expense

* For some reason Roger musson doesn’t advocate double butted spokes at 2mm/1.5mm/2mm for road wheels

I wouldn’t use 2/1.5/2mm in road wheels because they twist too much and are difficult to tension and consequently many of the wheels you see built with these spokes are under tensioned. for lightweight sports wheels i’ve started using dt competition 1.8/1.6/1.8

I was even thinking of going up to a 32h hub to get a stiffer wheel or should i go for a deeper section rim to get more stiffness?

trickydisco
    Free Member

Also how does the ACI Double butted spokes convert to mm

14/17/14 gauge is lightweight and absorbes vibration well.

This page suggests 2mm/1.5mm/2mm

and this 2mm/1.4/2mm

ir_bandito
    Free Member

ACI measurements are up the spout on every website I’ve found. They’re 2/1.7/2mm. The problem comes from 1.7mm not being a gauge size, so often ends up written as 17gauge by numpties. Nearest would be 14/15.5/14 gauge, if 15.5 existed…

They’re also cheap from sdeals.com. I’ve just built a wheelset using them.

nashwaymule
    Free Member

Tricky you are waisted in this line of enquiry you should work in IT !!

nikxl
    Free Member

Isn’t it sapim laser?

trickydisco
    Free Member

Isn’t it sapim laser?

Which the ACi spokes?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Road wheel build – spokes’ is closed to new replies.