Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Road wheel build…
  • oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

Since santa is bringing me a nice new truing stand etc…

It would be rude not to make up some wheels.

Since I’m happy with my MTB wheels and have a spare set, it looks like the road bike is getting an upgrade 🙂

Looking for advice on rims and hubs without breaking the bank to much. I use the roadie for training when I don’t have time to get out on the mtb so anything from 20 mile each way trips to work to rides in the hills.

I’d like the option to go tubeless as that works very well for me on my proper bike 😉

What are the light bicycle co road wheels like? Stans?

I’m circa 13 stone, and used to smashing my Enduro bike around, so can’t have anything too weak.

oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

bump

houndlegs
    Free Member

I have no idea about tubeless at all,but I’ve just bought a set of handbuilts for my winter bike. They were the cheapest option available by my lbs,mavic open sports on tiagra hubs. Cost me £131 so building yourself should be much cheaper. Got to say,I’m chuffed to bits with them, and if I’m honest, I can’t tell any difference between these and my better wheels which cost over twice the price.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Budget?

Standard answer for a decent set of wheels to train on tend to be…

Rims: Archetype if you fancy a wide rim, or OpenPro if you are more of a traditionalist. Stans seem to be gaining popularity but a bit pricier, may be worth a try if you want to go tubeless (not many out there at the moment and quite a limited tyre choice.) LB Carbon if you fancy something lighter.

Hubs: whichever shimano fits budget if you like cup and cone, otherwise some novatech variety or maybe DT Swiss 240 or 350. Really does depend on budget.

By the way, a “roadie” is the rider not the bike. Though I guess you could be using a roadie for training purposes when you don’t have time to ride 🙂

johnners
    Free Member

Mavic Open Pro are lovely to build with, I think it’s the double eyeletting that helps. I’d say just add the Shimano hub of your choice but I know there’s a lot of people who find cup and cone hubs problematic. They’re a bit pricier than Open Sports but well worth it IMO, not tubeless ready without some sealing though.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Open pro are no longer the benchmark rim, there are far better options now available that are lighter, more aero and tubeless compatible. Depending on budget you could consider something like Velocity A23, Pacenti sl23, Stans Alpha or one of Light Bikes carbon rims. Archetypes are easy to build and super durable but not tubeless ready

oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

Thanks guys, helpful so far. I want this to be my nice set of rims, I have mavic askiums for my winter/turbo wheels. Not set on a budget, as long as I feel i’m getting good value and good wheels I’ll be happy within reason.

I’m leaning towards stans or LB at the minute. Anyone gone through similar recently, what did you dig up?

mrblobby
    Free Member

In that case I’d go LB, maybe 35/50 with some DT 240 or Dura Ace hubs and DT Rev spokes. Planning on building a set myself in the new year. Loads of encouraging threads out there on LB rim experiences.

oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

Update – I’ve ordered some novatec super light hubs…. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111544648511?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&var=410535047231&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Better bearings than the standard ones apparently, and at 280g for both hubs plenty light!

Gone for Flo 30 rims – http://www.flocycling.com/wheels_front_flo_30.php

Like the idea of a bit of aero benefit, not being carbon, and not being silly heavy. My experience of nice wide rims on my MTB is very good so can see it working on a road bike.

Just need to decide on spokes now but will wait for the hub and rims to come first so I can measure up properly. Not sure wether to bother with CXrays or not.

Also unsure on tubeless as it seems using non tubeless tires on a road bike is a no-no for some reason. anyone got any experiences?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Road wheel build…’ is closed to new replies.