Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Road: Wheel build
  • Hopefully i got the topic header right and no ones going to grot me for it….

So ive just bought some nice polished alloy campagnolo hubs, they look cool in a retro kind of way. They are both drilled for 32 spokes so will build into a higher spoked wheel than most factory options out there.

Question is that i can’t decide whether it would be better to build them onto a tubular or clincher rim, and whether i should go carbon or not. Im living in NZ in hilly/windy auckland, it like the idea of deep section rims but not sure how practical they are for everyday road riding.

With a high spoked wheel am i better to go for building aero wheels or for a light hill climbing wheel. Also has anyone experience of the safety of the new chinese carbon clinchers for heat build up?

FuzzyWuzzy

Unless you’re racing (fast) then aero is about looks/sound – only you can make the decision on whether those are important to you. 32 spoke is still fairly normal on handbuilts, I’d go with a Pacenti SL23 rim and run them tubeless – should build up to a reasonable weight and give you the advantages of a tubeless tyre.
    I wouldn’t bother with tubulars personally, whatever anyone says they are more hassle than clinchers if you puncture and the differences in ride quality these days (over a decent clincher like an Ultremo) are too small for most people to notice. If you are a weight-weenie though then they’ll certainly help with that.

mrmo
    Free Member

assuming you have record/chorus/centaur/daytona hubs. they are very nice! if mirage they work…

I would just build them up old school, Open Pros, Ambrosio Excellence, Excellight that sort of thing. Tubs might be nice but they are a pain for everyday wheels. I wouldn’t bother with deep sections. If you want to build them fairly light rev spokes front and non driveside, or CX-rays.

And why is it that when i was in Auckland the only place i saw roadies was going up and down Tamaki drive past Mission Bay! Is there no where else!!!

haha, too true about mission bay! I ride out in the waitakeres (i like just down the road from arataki visitors centre so wherever i go its hilly.

Not trying to blow my own trumpet but Im in training for taupo race (160K) and planning on being under 5 hours or less so Im reasonably fast and getting faster.

I havent ridden deep section rims so i dont know what im talking about in terms of energy saving/efficiency just going on here-say i guess…

mrmo
    Free Member

only thing to be aware of, Aero is faster but in cross winds, ie wind blowing across Lake Taupo they can be a handful. Think more side area to catch the wind.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

As above, I’d go with regular section light rims, some nice choices listed above.

Tubulars? Not sure they’re worth it these days. Although they do make a slightly lighter complete wheel (I believe), if that’s important.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

32 spoke isnt going to be very aero anyway.

Those Pacenti’s or Archetype rims are about the best about at the moment I think.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Road: Wheel build’ is closed to new replies.