Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • road wheel advice
  • mav12
    Free Member

just after some info please the rear rim on my kyseriums has worn out started to crack looks expensive to replace so in the market for a replacement wheelset i was going to go with fulcrum racing 5 then came across dave hinde website and i can get a pair of mavic open pro rims on ambrosio hubs for a bit more cash which would be the better wheels any one had any experience with this company?i am not to bothered about weight looking more for robustness as iam 16 stone these are for a cross bike which is used 80 per cent on road 20 per cent canal paths fire roads etc

or any other suggestions welcome budget upto £200 and for campy freehub

lunge

I asked a similar question recently and the conclusion seemed to be Fulcrum Racing 5’s, the Mavic Ksyrium 2010’s at Merlin or a hand built of your choice (though please, please avoid Dave Hinde, he has an appalling reputation).

In the end I ignored all of this and bought some Fulcrum Quattro’s for a few quid more and I have to say I am very impressed by them.

Speshpaul

Just search for dave Hinde on google, maybe add the words trading standards as well. then make up your own mind.

i’m on the larger side of 15st, open pro’s DT spokes and Hope Pro3’s on the Carbon road bike (sub 2kg)and the same again but with Hope Bulb and Goldtec hubs on the crosser. All built by my own loving hand.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

I use a pair of Miche wheels for CX training. Not light, but they’re strong and still round after a winter’s riding.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/miche-race-clincher-road-bike-wheelset/

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Most of the decent builders (JRA, Rowland etc.) will do you Ambrosio Zeniths on Mavic Open Pro rims. I had a pair done by Harry Rowland. Would defintely buy them again.

Nothing ‘special’ on them – if you snap a spoke it’s a standard one, rims are easily replaceable etc. etc.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Ambrosio Zeniths are lovely, but will they come in at under 200 quid in the OP budget request?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

If you’re going for handbuilt, I’d go for Velocity A23 rims over Mavic’s for sure.

variflex
    Free Member

Look at http://www.wheelsmith.co.UK and their race23 model
    good feedback from many on here

mav12
    Free Member

thanks for the info guys i went with fulcrum racing 5s in the end hand built were coming in at around £250

trickydisco
    Free Member

I’d give a warning to novatech hubs. I’ve got a novatech hub with kinlin xr200 rim and after 2 weeks the splines have already started etching marks into the hub!

Is there anything i can do to stop this?

trail_rat
    Free Member

what cassette are you using ?

my ultegra cassette isnt eating my novatec.

you can also tighten the lockring snugly and this helps.

novatec are a tried and tested hub by many folk i wouldnt worry about buying one.

you can also get bite guard freehubs if it really worries you – these have a steel master spline bedded into them.

trickydisco
    Free Member

I’ve got the f582 ‘superlight’ built from dcrwheels

f582

Maybe i need to torq it down more?!

using a 12:25 ultegra cassette

trickydisco
    Free Member

Think i’ll be ordering an anti bite guard if I can 1. work out which one i need and 2 find a stockist in the uk

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘road wheel advice’ is closed to new replies.