Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Road up to Ben Lawers
  • kennyp
    Free Member

Is the wee road up from Loch Tay to Ben Lawers ice-free just now? We're planning to head up to do the Tarmachan Ridge on Thursday or Friday.

matt_outandabout

Yes it is completely free of ice today, BUT, it is snowing lightly outside.
    I got an LDV minibus up it in snow last week mind, but it is never gritted or ploughed. At worst you can park further along the loch road and walk up or ski up.
    Go on the Killin website and look at the webcam for an idea of snow cover on Friday. I would drop you an email but am leaving on Thursday for a weekend away.
    Last week on Ghlas looking across to Tarmachan:

matt_outandabout

Oh, and check out avalanche conditions – we have called off two hillwalks and some staff training as local conditions are 'red'.
    There is a lovely hard neve with 4"+ of fresh powdery snow on top – north facing slopes seem particularly bad high up apparently.
    http://www.sais.gov.uk/ and Glencoe is closest.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    kennyp
    Free Member

Cheers Matt. I'll keep an eye out on the SAIS site (called off a Cairngorms walk recently thanks to it) though I was under the impression Tarmachan wasn't overly prone to avalanches? Or am I wrong? We've got a plan B in mind if need be, but I've always fancied the ridge in winter.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Road up to Ben Lawers’ is closed to new replies.