Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Road under helmet caps, retro cool or very jey?
  • Kryton57

Thoughts?

fasthaggis

How about (in the rain) very practical ?

ourmaninthenorth

Keep the rain and low sun out of my eyes. Wear just on its own on long climbs in the summer. Head’s a bit warmer on chilly days (though I had a winter hat – complete with ear flaps – under the lid yesterday).

Or stick it in your pocket and put it on at the cafe stop.

woody2000

I wear one a lot, seem to work better than helmet pads at keeping sweat away from the eyes. And on slightly cooler days keep your head a little bit warmer, without boiling. I like’s em 🙂

FuzzyWuzzy

I never bother (just wear a skull cap or a buff if it’s cold) but they look fine to me. Not sure why you’re worried how a little cap under a helmet looks compared with the rest of the typical cyclist’s get up though…

MrSmith
    Free Member

Practicle. I don’t use the pads in the lid and just wear a cap all year round, keeps head warm in winter and the sweat out of your eyes in summer, I used to have it low and flipped but now just tipped back slightly and down all the time.
    Makes me cringe when people wear them flipped at a jaunty angle in some of londons cycling refreshment and beverage establishments, especially if they have a massive courier bag with nothing in it.

fasthaggis

Just wear your mtb lid,it already has a peak 😆

cat69uk
    Free Member

Have a Solo cotton one, wore it last night -2 and just keeps the wind chill of without sweating like a pig. Great in summer as well. My kids still point and laugh though!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Hot?

Gary_M
    Free Member

I wear one for various reasons – keps the rain out my eyes and helps to block out shit weather, keeps my head warm, very hand when riding in the dark as I can dip my head slightly and the peak blocks headlights of oncoming cars.

Kryton57

Hmm. I normally wear a buff, but I’ve found a castelli cap for a fiver and its calling me (a bit).

MSP

Good in summer. last year in the alps I was wearing it backwards so the peak kept the sun of my neck on some long climbs.

mattsccm
    Free Member

I wear mine a lot.
    However wearing any hat inside, whilst fashionable is so very rude.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

See Rule 22 😀

butcher

I don’t get this.

Peak on helmet is a big no no. Very uncool. And very unpractical.

Peak on cap is cool and practical.

I think this one will have to be explained to me.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I don’t have a peak on my road helmet, you can’t flip a peak up if you’re down low and want better visibility without straining your neck.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

you can’t flip a peak up if you’re down low and want better visibility without straining your neck.

Gary M has obliged. Also a peak doesnt keep your head warm, and is a bigger faff to remove than a hat.

I only started road riding last year and wore my MTB lid. Couldnt see out under the peak even riding on the hoods. Bought a second lid for road, left the peak off. Yesterday stuck the planet X cap that came in the hamper bundle on for a cold road ride, kept the chill off my head and flicking the peak down kept the low sun out my eyes, flicking it up let me see.

And as referred to earlier

Rule #22
    // Cycling caps are for cycling.

Cycling caps can be worn under helmets, but never when not riding, no matter how hip you think you look. This will render one a douche, and should result in public berating or beating. The only time it is acceptable to wear a cycling cap is while directly engaged in cycling activities and while clad in cycling kit. This includes activities taking place prior to and immediately after the ride such as machine tuning and tire pumping. Also included are cafe appearances for pre-ride espressi and post-ride pub appearances for body-refueling ales (provided said pub has sunny, outdoor patio – do not stray inside a pub wearing kit or risk being ceremoniously beaten by leather-clad biker chicks). Under these conditions, having your cap skull-side tipped jauntily at a rakish angle is, one might say, de rigueur. All good things must be taken in measure, however, and as such it is critical that we let sanity and good taste prevail: as long as the first sip of the relevant caffeine or hop-based beverage is taken whilst beads of sweat, snow, or rain are still evident on one’s brow then it is legitimate for the cap to be worn. However, once all that remains in the cranial furrows is salt, it is then time to shower, throw on some suitable après-ride attire (a woollen Molteni Arcore training top circa ’73 comes to mind) and return to the bar, folded copy of pastel-coloured news publication in hand, ready for formal fluid replacement.

fasthaggis

Hmm. I normally wear a buff, but I’ve found a castelli cap for a fiver and its calling me (a bit).

It’s calling you a bit of a what ?

😆

topangarider
    Free Member

On the bike, yes – though not much as I tend to run too hot so go for a earband thing.

Have a wool Walz one for off the bike in cold weather. Don’t care about Rule 22 – I have no hair and a beanie makes me look like div.

aa
    Free Member

it is most practical. i wear one every time i ride a bike. today was a case of buff over mouth and head, cycle cap over buff, helmert on top.

it keeps wind/rain/snow out of eyes. the rare occasion when the sun thingy is on display it shades the eyes.

i can’t remember the last time i felt too hot becuase of one.

the cycle cap is the perfect clothing item.

thomthumb
    Free Member

seen too many helmet peaks smashed into peoples faces!

sputnik
    Free Member
    MrAgreeable

Big “yay” for Walz caps here too. The thicker version with the ear-flaps has been my best purchase of the winter so far, on and off the bike.

throw on some suitable après-ride attire (a woollen Molteni Arcore training top circa ’73 comes to mind) and return to the bar

So wearing a cycling hat off the bike is pretentious, but wearing a cycling top to a bar (and attempting to bask in the reflected glamour of one of the greatest sportsmen of all time, while being blissfully unaware of what you’re actually advertising) is fine?

GrahamS

I’m wearing one of these at the moment (without a helmet):

with matching black merino Buff round my neck/face.

I have no idea what The Rules say about that but it’s nice and warm 😀

terrahawk
    Free Member

every time someone quotes ‘the rules’ I have an almost overwhelming urge to tell them to f*** right off.

johnellison
    Free Member

No, no, no. Bandana, preferably red paisley pattern, a la Marco “Il Pirata” Pantani.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

So wearing a cycling hat off the bike is pretentious, but wearing a cycling top to a bar (and attempting to bask in the reflected glamour of one of the greatest sportsmen of all time, while being blissfully unaware of what you’re actually advertising) is fine?

that depends on whether you realise the writers of the velominati rules have a sense of humour or not 🙄

Haze

Reversed and flipped to keep the peak off my neck, keeps my bonce warm when it’s not quite cold enough to break out the buff.

Bez

I have a mild cycling cap addiction. They’re fantastic things in all weathers – they keep the sun off in summer and keep you warm in winter. They’re comfy and they’re cheap and they come in all sorts of colours and patterns and stripes and fabrics – what’s not to like 🙂

But I’d never wear a helmet and a cap – that just seems weird. It’s one or the other.

And screw The Rules, I wear them off the bike as well.

MrAgreeable

the writers of the velominati rules have a sense of humour

What about the people who quote them interminably on cycle forums?

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

Kryton57

Well, I bought a white & black castelli cap to match my helmet.

My road transformations is complete :-/

OCB
    Free Member

I wear an assortment of hat-like things under my helmet as conditions (and staying comfortable) dictate.
    When it’s properly cold I wear a ‘roubaix’ type material skull-cap (with ears), or a buff when it’s only kinda chilly. In warmer weather I wear a bandana or a cotton cycling cap – all worn under my helmet.

Just to add to the effect, my helmet is a [black] road helmet, with a [white] peak (from a totally different manufacturer just duct-taped on). I also like to wear stripy socks on the bike, just for the hell of it. 😛

bikebouy
    Free Member

Always wear them, be it Summer or Winter, under my helmet and if I feel like it just on its own when riding the roadie.. Yeah.. No helmet shokka!!
    I think they’re ace, Phil Gilbert looks cool in his.

postierich
    Free Member

whoops cap and peaked mtb lid 😉

196770_10151432223341474_1754871644_n by Richard Munro, on Flickr

brakes
    Free Member

I wear them flipped, 180ed and tweaked for the commute to work – no helmet neither. so bite me.

this is my current fave.

RealMan
    Free Member

Pretty much 99% of the time I ride (road of course – never wear a cap off road).

Assos make a pretty nice one, but we’ve got team ones in now, although don’t think I have any pictures yet.

fourbanger
    Free Member

I wear a wooly hat and leave the helmet at home. Keeps my ears warm, but not too warm!

OmarLittle
    Free Member

big fan of them under a helmet.

shame hipsters started wearing them in recent years because they used to be sort of cool off the bike too.

mauja
    Free Member

I got given a Rapha one as a gift, I never used to wear a cap before but now I rarely ride on the road without it.

I don’t really worry about if it’s cool or not but it has more uses than you ever thought possible, keeps the rain off your glasses, keeps the sun out of your eyes, stops sweating dripping when it’s hot, keeps your head warm when it’s cold, shields your eyes from car headlights when it’s dark, shields your eyes when you really don’t want to see how far it is to the top of the climb.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Road under helmet caps, retro cool or very jey?’ is closed to new replies.