• This topic has 12 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by benji.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Road tyres with puncture protection (and good in the wet?)
  • baldman
    Free Member

Hi folks

Newbie on a road bike and don’t know what is good/bad for tyres. I’ve been commuting on my Mtb for 4 years with no punctures (specialized nimbus armadillo tyres – even when I’d worn through all the rubber to the armoured casing) but having made the jump to a road bike I keep getting punctures (maxxis detonators 28c). What would be a good replacement? Commute is 26 miles round trip with a mix of dedicated cyclepaths, country roads and town centre riding.

Thanks

Mr B

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

Continental UltraGators would be my first thought but if you’re used to the armadillo protection on MTB tyres you might find them a bit lacking. On the other hand I’ve just done over 600miles on mine and still had no punctures…guess it depends where/how you ride.

aP
    Free Member

Continental GP4Season or Vredestein Fortrzza Tri-Comp Quattro.

TiRed

Schwalbe Marathon Plus (ultimate protection but heavy, grip well).
    Schwalbe Durano Plus (lighter but same protection)
    Schwalbe Durano S (less protection but faster and acceptable)

All good, For your commute, i’d go for Durano Plus, as it’s a fair trek and you don’t want to have to stop.

I don’t like Continental tyres, personally.

stimpy
    Free Member

I’ve Schwalbe Durano on my road/commuter bike for a 24-mile round trip across similar terrain as you describe. They’re great and I found them much cheaper than Contis.

I’ve nothing against Contis (I use them and prefer them on my MTB – and actually I don’t like Schwalbe MTB tyres) but Schwalbe Duranos are great. I’d very happily buy them again.

tehtehtehteh
    Free Member

I’ve got duranos here, 28mm folding ones, they’ve been excellent so far

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

Specialized armadillos
    Maxxis refuse
    Durano

philjunior
    Free Member

Panaracer RibMo have been good for me. Except that the canvas is kind of dark so I sometimes don’t notice when I’ve worn it out until things get a bit slippery.

But so has my latest Conti something or other hard shell thingy (other Continentals I’ve had in the past have not been so good, but this was bought when I had to get home with a tear in a sidewall of another tyre).

baldman
    Free Member

Thank you all, some good tips and advice in there, most appreciated.

TheSanityAssassin

Schwalbe Durano Plus in 700 x 25c. Bullet proof.

ventana_craig
    Free Member

I commute similar distance on same sort of mix of path and road.
    I’ve just ditched marathon + because they are extremely heavy. Bought the Durano + in 700 x 25c seem good so far.

MoreCashThanDash

I had a good few thousand miles out of Continental Sport Contacts on a similar commute. Only one or two punctures.

benji
    Free Member

Another vote for Schwalbe Durano, done lots of training miles on them, and even used them once for a crit, with no crashes. A very capable tyre wet or dry.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Road tyres with puncture protection (and good in the wet?)’ is closed to new replies.