Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Road Tyres – Will I notice a difference 550g p/tyre 32mm to 250g p/tyre 25mm ?
  • Waderider
    Free Member

Crikey there is some cod science here! – and no I can’t be bothered reading all the responses.

Lower pressure’s should puncture less.

Lower pressure means a greater contact area meaning you also increase the odds of running over a sharp foreign object. It would take a scientific experiment or two to work that one out!

To be honest I read lots of guff in this thread but I can’t be bothered picking any more up. Think I’ll go out on my bike with Conti four seasons – very light, on about my third set with no punctures……

mtbel
    Free Member

The force of gravity acting on the rider and the bicycle is what causes sharp objects on the ground to puncture tyres.
    lower pressures will not stop this.

actually… what will make this stop?

is your tea not ready yet?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Go have a think about what the difference between force and pressure is. The force (yes, the one generated by the effect of gravity, but that’s irreverent, it could be a centripetal force going round a velodrome). You halve the pressure, they tyres contact patch is doubled.

The area of your sharp object is remaining the same, the pressure is reduced, so what happens to the force applied to the sharp object?

mtbel
    Free Member

it still forces the sharp object through the tyre easily and punctures it! that’s what.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Went out for the first ride on the Conti Grandprix’s. My old tyres came in at a wopping 650g per tyre, 400g per tyre heavier!

The ride was harsher at 100psi on the new Contis, but the bike feels much more lively. It probably has given me 3 ish mph on the flat and hills you feel like you are not having to lift a rotating mass each tyre rotation.

Strava times are all PB’s.

Im sure in 2 months time it will be back to normal feeling but for now its good.

Not sure 25mm tyres will handle my offroad section of my commute though, I think pinch flats would be an issue.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Folk keep taking the bait! Better to ignore the trolls, get some sense and discussion without constant put downs and annoyance.

The wee tyres will feel amazingly nippy but you WILL get a harsher ride and WILL have more problems with punctures/rim damage. For city commuting I’d always choose 28-32c. Rural and suburban and longer distances yes, light skinnies will be best.

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Road Tyres – Will I notice a difference 550g p/tyre 32mm to 250g p/tyre 25mm ?’ is closed to new replies.