Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Road tyres – how big is too big for you?
  • RustySpanner

Two days into the 2″ tyre experiment and it’s going well so far. 🙂

Went for 2′ Marathon Supreme folders as I’m very impressed with the 1.6’s I’ve got

About 30 miles and a little pressure faffage, I think I’ve cracked it.

It’s like driving an old Citroen – you know the bumps and potholes are there, you wince in anticipation, then…oh, was that it?
    Calm, happy, floaty progress.

Not fussed about the weight, it’s a heavy bike anyway and I’m not in a hurry.

Profile is ok on 19mm (internal) rims, can’t really judge feel or handling until I compare them with the 1.6’s on the same bike, but grip seems fine.

Yes, they’re heavy.
    No, they aren’t pretty.

But they’re staying on for a while.
    🙂

What about you lot?
    Just for commuting, do you use them regularly for longer road rides or are you sick of them and gone skinny again?

thekettle
    Free Member

I’m on 30c (challenge strada bianca) tires for all my road riding now. They roll faster than the 28’s I had previously (Conti GP4 seasons), are really comfortable, supple and pretty light. 50/60 psi front/rear is great for reduced punctures too. Most of my riding is hilly 30-60 milers solo, with the odd longer flatter one.

jam-bo

25 is a squeeze in my frame. 🙁

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’m running the Kite on 38’s and they’ve been great.
    Don’t feel any slower than the 28’s I’ve tried int he past and way more comfortable. I won’t be going back to a bike on ‘normal’ road tyres any time in the future.

Northwind

I have 32s on mine (it’s a hybrid, but I use it like a road bike; just don’t like drops). That’s as big as the frame will take with mudguards, or I’d be tempted to go further

RustySpanner

Mine too Jambo, on the ‘light’ road bike.

23’s are good fun for half an hour, but as I get older, comfort wins out over speed.
    🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Road tyres – how big is too big for you?’ is closed to new replies.