Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Road tyres best price/wear/puncture resist
  • ActionJackson
    Free Member

Just getting into road bikes and doing a build. My question is about what you reckon the best tyres for the price are. Looked at Gatorskins but fairly dear and need some starter tyres. Any ideas what other tyres are really good for the price ??

Thanks

Rob

MoreCashThanDash

Might find some Michelin Krylion Carbons around – not cheap but great tyres.

Now replaced by Endurance Pro4, which were cheap on Merlin a few weeks back

mauja
    Free Member

Personally I think Gatorskins are worth it especially for the winter. They’ve got decent puncture protection, last well, grip well in the wet and seem to roll as well as many ligher tyres without puncture protection.

They’re £25 on probikekit so not really that pricey and in my experience it’s not worth saving a few quid by going for cheap tyres.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Schwalbe Durano S.

Normally on offer on Ebay.

mboy
    Free Member

Durano S are a good fast, slightly puncture resistant tyre, with a little better wear than a full on race tyre, but they’re not that durable.

The standard Durano is a much better bet. Or if you want the ultimate in puncture protection, and milage (short of a Marathon) get some Durano Plus’s.

TiRed

Thirded for Durano S. I bought a pair half price from SportPursuit last week for when the current set give up. I raced on them in the rain on Saturday, and it wasn’t the tyres holding me back 😉

I’ve also run Durano Plus, and you will only see a puncture when they are wearing down.

crankman
    Free Member

Just fitted some Duranos (normal, not S) and got a flint through the front tyre on my first ride. Slashed the tube. Managed to finish my ride with it though. Guess it could be one of those things, bit disappointed though.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Road tyres best price/wear/puncture resist’ is closed to new replies.