Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • road tyres and Stans
  • Jeffus
    Free Member

I have some wheels set up tubeless with stans and I’m going to fit them to my Kaffenback with Continental 28 c tyres can I put the stans fluid in them and run tubeless like I do on my Maxxis mtb tyres.

scaredypants

If you’re running high pressures I’d suggest the (exorbitantly priced) chunky jizz from stans – “race” IIRR

Olly
    Free Member

Short answer, yes. I’ve got 35c continentals on my surly ghetto tubeless and it seems to work. I am however pretty nervous about burping them. Higher pressure in much smaller space means a burp on a harsher turn might send them from 70,psi to 20psi in an instant and that would be bad news brown pants. Marginally better ride feel, and I’ve not had a puncture, but i never had as puncture before either. . Probably wouldn’ bother doing it in hindsight.

stabilizers

I think you should be OK. My mate runs his CX tubeless wheels with ‘non’ tubeless tyres. He’s hd no issues for the past year. I guess if they do burp you have no comeback in terms you used something it was not designed for. Its not to say it won’t work though.

Jeffus
    Free Member

Thanks for your help will see how it goes

morphio
    Free Member

I personally wouldn’t run high pressures in non tubeless tyres. It’s one thing at MTB or CX pressures. But on a road bike with a non tubeless tyre you’ve got a far higher chance of it blowing off. What happens if that’s at speed going round a corner or in front of a car?

I wouldn’t risk it. There are lots of good road tubeless tyres – schwalbe, hutchinson or my current favourite IRC

fifeandy
    Free Member

I personally wouldn’t run high pressures in non tubeless tyres. It’s one thing at MTB or CX pressures. But on a road bike with a non tubeless tyre you’ve got a far higher chance of it blowing off. What happens if that’s at speed going round a corner or in front of a car?

I wouldn’t risk it. There are lots of good road tubeless tyres – schwalbe, hutchinson or my current favourite IRC

Agreed – last thing you want is it blowing off rim whilst cornering at 35mph with a double decker bus coming in the other direction.

ransos
    Free Member

I personally wouldn’t run high pressures in non tubeless tyres.

+1. Ordinary road tyres are not designed to withstand the pressure generated by running tubeless. I run Schwalbe Pro One tubeless tyres with Stans fluid and Grail rims, and am pretty happy with the set up. I might switch to Hutchinson Sector 28s for winter.

Jeffus
    Free Member

Cheers will look at changing my tyres for tubeless version don’t want to have a bad experience for the sake of a few quid. Thanks

reggiegasket
    Free Member

the general advice is that road tubeless should use proper tubeless tyres, as the bead isn’t strong enough on std. clincher tyres. The Schwalbe range has some good options; One, Pro One, S-One, G-One etc. which will be fine.

I’ve actually tried 28mm std GP4Seasons tubeless and they did go up but the sidewalls took ages to seal. I’m on Pro Ones and S-Ones now.

belugabob
    Free Member

I personally wouldn’t run high pressures in non tubeless tyres.

+1

This is why I bought TLR specific wheels and tyres for my new build (still in progress)
    Given how tight the tyres are (F***ing tight + VAT) I’m guessing that non tubeless tyres would be as slack as the security at City Airport.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘road tyres and Stans’ is closed to new replies.