Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • road tyres 23or 25mm
  • verticalclimber
    Free Member

was thinking of trying 25mm road tyres for bit more comfort and grip
    anyone have any views? whether worth it or not

ska-49
    Free Member

25mm seems to be the best size for my riding. Handles the rough roads of the city but is still comfy and fast. Unless your racing or have smooth roads stick with 25mm. Only 2p though.

Teifiterror
    Free Member

25 are far better in my opinion, generally feel faster on the rougher roads

reggiegasket
    Free Member

28s on the commuter

25 front and 23 rear (tubeless) on the carbon

breatheeasy
    Free Member

I’ve been running 25s for a while now and really like ’em. My mate is gonna swap from 23 to 25 when he needs new tyres, but we do ride some fairly rough roads knackered by either frost or the salty seaside air.

Alas, my favourite Michelin Krylions seem to only come in 23s this year in their lastest ‘Endurance 4’ incarnation so gonna have to consider different make or trying the 23s…

verticalclimber
    Free Member

cheers guys sounds like 25 it is, roads around dorking and north downs arnt the best so all will help. had thought about 28 after reading about new bmc bike that is built around 28mm tyres for rougher rides but might be a bit tight in frame

FOG

another + for 25mms which certainly seem to add comfort out of proportion to the 2mm increase. I also found I get less punctures but this must be a coincidence because I can’t think of any reason for this.

TiRed

I’ve run 23’s for commuting and club rides and not had any issues. I’m an exclusive Schwalbe user: Durano Plus, Durano S and Ultremo ZX. 28’s will look HUGE on a road bike. I have one set of 25’s and they look a little large. There are arguments about rolling resistance, but to be honest, inner tube choice, compound, pressure, load, road surface and temperature are all variables that will have an effect on top of tyre width.

Buy the best you can afford and avoid Continental if you ride in the wet.

willyboy
    Free Member

25mm are the future. I’ve used them from everything from Paris-Roubaix, Sheffield roads and some triathlons and they aren’t any slower. They are noticeably comfier.
    I rate the folding Gatorskins.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

25s will be heavier, but will roll better and be more comfortable.

23s will be lighter and you’ll have a larger choice of tyres to pick from.

FuzzyWuzzy

25s are better, the only downside I’ve found is they won’t fit under cruds so I end up on 23s on my winter bike and 25s on my summer one (ideally I’d want 28s on the winter).

cynic-al
    Free Member

I like 25s but not so easy t find nice light tyres.

23mm on wide rims is good also.

nedrapier

I went from 28 to 48, then compromised with 35. Don’t get dropped by many on the commute, but no matter how much faster I go, bakes is still ahead of me on all the strava climbs. So I might try 23s.

Not really, the roads are so awful that there are only a half a mile or so over the 6 mile commute that I can distinguish between the 2mm flat spot in the rim and the bumps in the road. And that’s with the 35s

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Split the difference , i`ve always used these and have just ordered another pair. Last pair lasted about 2000 miles.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360474557188

willyboy
    Free Member

You can get most decent tyres in 700 x 25mm now.

Just checked and you can find Contis in 25 and 24, michelin pro race 4 service course and schwalbe ultremo zx’s in 25mm. Most are about 215/230 grams so aren’t exactly heavy.

verticalclimber
    Free Member

cheers guys. am prob gonna try scwalbe next as have been using conti gp chilli etc and fancy a change

jota180
    Free Member

25s are better, the only downside I’ve found is they won’t fit under cruds

I’ve just put some Cruds on my 25mm shod Trek 1500, the bumph on the Crud site says that as long as you had 4mm clearance between the tyre and caliper, the Cruds will fit regardless of tyre size, so I guess it’s a frame issue rather tan tyre size per se

Those cheapy 25mm Vittoria Pro Slicks on Planet-x are pretty good

MrSmith
    Free Member

A happy compromise

horseguard
    Free Member

Thinner for racing, thicker for wet and further distances.

Bez

I’ll be a voice of dissent, then. I’ve got GP4000S on two bikes, one 23mm and one 25mm.

To be honest I find the 25s at best pointless, and I prefer the 23s. If I reduce the pressure I find they feel a little soft – by which I mean the negative effects of softness for cornering etc are at least as great as the positive effects for bump absorption. So I end up running both at the same pressure, and with the smaller volume that actually makes the 23 the more supple tyre.

I’ve found the same with other 23-28mm tyres as well: I just don’t get on with lower pressures on tarmac; and the larger the carcass at a given pressure, the more dead and wooden it feels.

This post comes with a big YMMV caveat.

Janesy
    Free Member

A slight thread hijack. But…
    YMMV I do about 180miles per week NO commuting.
    I have currently scwalbe Uteremo ZX that get cut up and need some new tyres.
    What’s good out there these days? I won’t do a massive amount during the winter (circa 80 miles per week) and want decent low rolling resistance.

I need some tyres that will last well in to next year.
    What are the Conti Force and attack tyres like?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Bez – Member
    So I end up running both at the same pressure, and with the smaller volume that actually makes the 23 the more supple tyre.

How does that work?

Bez

Just seems to. Not that there’s much in it.

In any case I think applying the same force to a smaller tyre at a given pressure should displace it by further than a larger one at the same pressure. But I’m tired and may not be sufficiently arsed to think that through 🙂

Big-M
    Free Member

I find it’s more about the quality of the tyre rather than the size. Running 25mm Vittoria Open Pro’s on the summer race bike, comfy & fast. Currently have 25mm Vittoria Zaffiro’s on the winter bike, they feel like crap!
    Might try some 25mm Ultremo Aquas..

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘road tyres 23or 25mm’ is closed to new replies.