Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • road tyre – will i die question
  • robgclarkson
    Free Member

running tubeless tyres (schwalbe pro 1 28’s to be exact) and i got such a big hole in my rear tyre the other day that no amount of sealant would be up to the job… i did have a tube with me though and i put that in and continued to work… and then home again, and then back in again…. only 10 miles to work so no biggie… thing is i plan to go the long way home tonight (30ish miles) am i asking for trouble and pushing my luck doing this?

new tyre has been dispatched, and will be fitted post haste….

and could i have my original tyre repaired somewhere, or by me with some wonder product?

i thank you

legend
    Free Member

Depends how big the hole is. Tubeless plugs can be used on road tyres too

robgclarkson
    Free Member

hmm, thought as much i guess

dovebiker

If the slit is more than 1-2mm the tube will find its way through and burst – patch on the inside of the tyre, ideally a reinforced one so it doesn’t get forced like an aneurism through the existing hole. A piece of gaffer tape will help temporarily.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

If it’s any help….I’d say you’re less likely to die from a rear tyre blowout, compared to the front 😉

As above, you can repair tyres. I’ve had decent results from cleaning the inside of the tyre around the hole with IPA, and using a Park Tools glueless patch. I’ve done this up to about 50psi, so not ideal for road tyres, but you should get away with it on 28mm.

chum3
    Free Member

I had similar last weekend – 30km in, and a 4mm cut right through the tread of the tyre. I had 100km to go so called my wife for a rescue instead of risking a tube and getting into issues when further away from home.

I’ve repaired with a tubeless repair patch, which is basically a chunky version of a tube patch. First time I’ve used on the roadie and haven’t ridden it yet, but will report back if I die…

robgclarkson
    Free Member

chum3 – Member
    will report back if I die…

😆

TiRed

One of my tubeless ones has such a hole. Can’t seal above 60psi. Can run a tube. Could also apply a patch to the inside of the tyre. I’ve done this with instant topeak patches to prevent egress of a latex inner tube when a screw pierced a (nontubeless) Schwalbe One. Tyre is still going strong!

oldnpastit

For a temporary bodge can’t you put something like a gel wrapper on the inside just to stop the inner tube ballooning out?

I’ve done this on non-tubeless road tyres and it’s been fine over far more than a mere 30 miles.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

curiosity got the better of me and i had a proper look at lunch time, the damage is far worse on the outside than the inside, if that makes sense? there’s no way a tube is coming through there… i shall continue with gay abandon!

i happen to have another tube with me and some heavy polythene packing type stuff, you know, just in case 😉

mcj78
    Free Member

I’ve used self adhesive nylon patches designed for tents / kites etc. before to reinforce small cuts on road tyres, they’re really thin & don’t add any bulk – spot of superglue to hold the outside cut together then apply patch on the inside to stop the tube forcing it’s way through. Providing the cuts aren’t so big that the inflation pressure alone will force the tube through you should be fine… on the rear… under 5mph 😆

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

On the MTB I’ve just superglued quite big cuts back together and tubeless has then been fine

On the road bike I superglue cuts up all the time, but that’s on normal tyres, not tubeless. But it should be fine with a tube in it.

stuc
    Free Member

I’ve repaired in the last week a puncture on a Schwalbe Pro One 25mm tubeless. As the sealant wasn’t sealing it by itself I used one of the mtb plug kits. Left the tags quite long so I got a sticky blob left on the tyre in the area of the puncture – I had to ride it straight away so at first it felt like continuously riding over a small stone.

After finishing the ride I took the scalpel too it and removed as much of the excess as possible. Seems to have done the trick and is holding at about 90 psi and is now smooth and doesn’t affect the tyres profile.

piesoup
    Free Member

My tubeless S One blew through an internal patch this morning. The patch pushed through like Dovebiker mentioned. There was a 5mm cut
    I have fitted an anchovie, I’ll let you know if I die tomorrow morning!

stuc
    Free Member

Also, an old toothpaste wrapper cut open makes a decent emergency tyre boot, just roll it loosely around the tube by where any cut or puncture is.

oldnpastit

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘road tyre – will i die question’ is closed to new replies.