Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Road tyre puncture advice needed
  • Flapjack
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend me some fast rolling road tyres that are less prone to puncturing than the Schwalbe Ultremo R1’s that came fitted to my Cube Agree? I seem to spend more time changing tubes than riding the bloody thing!
    Any help gratefully received.

Thanks
    FJ

handyman153
    Free Member

FJ,

Continentals are pretty good. Something like the Ultra Gator Skin, I have never had any problems with them.

Or the specialized road tyres are actually pretty good, again never had any problems with those.
    Cheers
    Josh..

Jase
    Free Member

On my summer bike I’ve used Conti Ultra race for past few years which appear to be punture resistant.

On the winter bike I’ve got some Hardshell Gator Skins but only used them 4 times so can’t really comment on their puncture reistence.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Michellen Pro 3’s are pretty good all year tyre.

Ultra Gator Skins are proper though

Flapjack
    Free Member

Thanks guys. Sounds like the Ultra Gator Skins are the ones to go for. 😀

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Gator skins for me

The new gator skins Hardshells are supposed to be even better, but i think they cost a fair bit more.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Thanks guys. Sounds like the Ultra Gator Skins are the ones to go for

if you want to sacrifice ride quality and grip.
    gp4000s or 4seasons if you want high tpi/black chilli compound and decent puncture protection

MoreCashThanDash

Michelin Krylion Carbons were voted best value winter tyre in the current C+, which had puncture proof as a key feature.

Done over 4k miles on them and had one puncture in that time, including about 3k commuting the glass strewn streets of Nottingham!

3rock
    Free Member

I use Vittoria Diamante Protech, they look very slick but great grip in all weather, and not punctured yet. Famous last…..

infidel
    Free Member

sometimes its just bad luck, my Michelin Krylions have had several punctures….

Jase
    Free Member

Mine too after a while before I changed to the Conti’s but this was after they’d prob worn down.

crikey
    Free Member

Got a track pump?
    Use it every time you ride?
    Look where you are going?
    Don’t ride in the gutter?

All sound a bit patronising, but make the difference between a few and a lot.

I’ve had 4 punctures this year, two were snake bites, on a road bike, due to not looking at what I was riding over, one was a piece of wire that went on to give me another because I didn’t get it out of the tyre.

It’s really not about luck, it’s about where and how you prepare and ride.

eddie11
    Free Member

surprising – schable have good puncture protection ime. Perhaps the ultremos were OEMs where some corners were cut? luganos are a bit tougher than ultremos but i’d think what you want before you go down the full gatorskin route – they are not a like for like replacement – you’ll never get a puncture but they are heavy, slow and slippy on breaking and corners and no fun as anything other than an urban commuting tyre.

doodlebug
    Free Member

Flapjack

Used Vittoria Pro light (170g) with supersonic tubes (50g) and a cap full of Stans milk in the tubes, not one puncture in 2010 😆

Super light and fast set up, go up to around 120psi

http://www.vittoria.com/product/diamante/

convert

Conti 4 seasons for me. Gatorskins are fine and I used them when I had a long back roads commute and price/lifespan were important but on a ride where handling is more important (riding with others) the 4 season is where it’s at.

I’d add to crikeys list with bothering to check your tyres at the end of a ride for embedded flints. Quite often it’ll take miles and miles to push them all the way through so giving your tyres a quick once over will help prevent faff on the next ride. And whilst it might seem like too much bother at the end of a ride and can be put off until the start of the next, whipping the flint out might just reveal a slow puncture and I’d rather that showed itself whilst the bike languished in the shed rather than out on the road.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Road tyre puncture advice needed’ is closed to new replies.