Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Road Tyre cuts…
  • Kryton57

…. how big/deep/many before you replace it?

druidh
    Free Member

Can you see the inner tube yet?

Kryton57

Nope…. There’s about 4 cuts in a Durano S, the biggest about 4mm long, the others about 3mm…

andy7t2
    Free Member

done 4000 miles on mine and think they might need replacing but i always think just one more week.

at some stage they give in and i’ll have a long walk home

Kryton57

Its not the distance Andy, I’m unfamiliar with road bikes and therefore tyre strength / limits, so I just wondered about the “limit” about which I need to consider changing the tyre.

druidh
    Free Member

Doesn’t sound too bad. You’ll always get surface cuts, you just don’t want them going too deep.

TheBrick
    Free Member

If they are just little cuts in rubber don’t worry. Pick any little bits of glass out of them to stop them working deeper and causing you a puncture, if you’re really keen put a drop of super glue in the crack to re-seal.

teasel
    Free Member

Another thumbs-up for a small amount of super glue applied to a tyre slash, worked everytime for me. Go for the normal stuff instead of gel unless you’re trying to stick down a loose flap of tyre.

The pic below is showing a cut I received to some Gatorskins from a sharp flinty bit of trail I decided to ride…

I’ve been riding it like that since May last year without issues and that includes a little bit of off-road. IME most little nicks, cuts and most slashes can be repaired with the above method or simply ridden until they fail.

Edit : It’s actually deeper than the photo suggests.

oldgit
    Free Member

I go round with a blob of ‘puncture repair outfit’ glue.

njee20
    Free Member

And if it’s a bad cut in an otherwise alright tyre a puncture repair patch on the inside.

I just replaced my rear GP 4 Seasons because I was down I the carcass, could see the ‘cross hatched’ stuff all the way around, full of holes, no flats though! They’re pretty resilient!

cynic-al
    Free Member

My last conti commuter tyre flatted all the time when it got worn, interesting.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Road Tyre cuts…’ is closed to new replies.