Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Road tunnel linking Manchester and Sheffield
  • norbert-colon

😆

Ha ha. Can’t imagine your average Yorkshireman being that worried about it taking too long to get to the ‘worst side of the Pennines” 😉

jfletch
    Free Member

I mean that having improved the journey times to get from Manchester to Liverpool, they seem to be thinking that it would be a good idea to do that for the other cities in the proposed “Northern Powerhouse”.

Yep, but a road tunnel won’t do that unless you live/work either end of the tunnel.

Both cities and their ring roads are already over capacity and all a tunnel will do is add more cars into this mess. An itegrated plan would get commuters off the roads by enticing them onto rail. That’s huge though and requires a massive upfront investment with many years until payback. So although it is the job of government to provide the infastructure the country needs to thrive in the long term no polictical party will propose the policy as instead they will pander to the car obsessed masses and spunk loads of cash up the wall on short term road plans that won’t offer a solution and instaed just make people even more reliant on their cars. Yay.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Yep, but a road tunnel won’t do that unless you live/work either end of the tunnel.

Both cities and their ring roads are already over capacity and all a tunnel will do is add more cars into this mess. An itegrated plan would get commuters off the roads by enticing them onto rail. That’s huge though and requires a massive upfront investment with many years until payback. So although it is the job of government to provide the infastructure the country needs to thrive in the long term no polictical party will propose the policy as instead they will pander to the car obsessed masses and spunk loads of cash up the wall on short term road plans that won’t offer a solution and instaed just make people even more reliant on their cars. Yay.

This +1.

A quick train link between Manchester and Sheffield would probably tempt me back upto that part of the world as it would make it practical to live in Manchester or Sheffield and work in the other, which doubles the chances of both me and SWMBO finding jobs, and really I’d rather live in Sheffield but the work’s in Manchester for me.

It’s a bit like living in London, it doesn’t matter where you both work, just about everywhere is accessible on the public transport.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    100mphplus
    Free Member

Do you know anything about the train tunnel in the Brecon Beacons? I’d dearly love to see that reopened..

Network rail has a long term plan to try and re-open a lot of their old tunnels for various uses if financially viable. They all need some major work on them and with everything it’s down to £ so I wouldn’t hold your breath.

Don’t know where the Brecon tunnel sits on the pecking order, but it wasn’t on a list of tunnels we saw last year that they wanted feasibility / prices to sort out and has subsequently gone quiet!!

Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Road tunnel linking Manchester and Sheffield’ is closed to new replies.