Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Road Tubeless Success
  • domderbyshire
    Free Member

I was wary of this, but decided to bite the bullet and bought some Schwalbe the Ones to complement my Giant carbon wheels. The rim tape went on fine, so long as I pulled it very tight. Next, the tubeless valves went in, which was easy. Then I smeared sealant around the wheel and tyre edges. Finally I seated the tyres and went for it with the track pump. They went up fine, even without sealant, although I did put some in afterwards. A quick spin around the block and the job appears to be a goodun. It really was straightforward, much to my surprise.

cloudnine
    Free Member

what pressure are you running?

domderbyshire
    Free Member

The tyres are sitting at max pressure (110 psi) at the moment to make sure they stay seated, but tomorrow I will try 90 front, 95 rear and take it from there. The tyres are 25mm and I’m only 65kg, so we’ll see. If anyone has any advice on this, I’d be grateful!

Shred
    Free Member

I’m 74kg and run my Bontrager R3 TLR 25mm at 75/80 F/R with no problems.

I’ve run 60 in the rear when I got a puncture. The sealant stopped the leak, and I stopped a bit later at a shop and borrowed their track pump. The seal wouldn’t hold over 60, so I just continued at that pressure and did the final 70km of a 325km ride like that.

domderbyshire
    Free Member

Thanks, Shred. I’ll try those pressures and see how the bike feels.

munkster
    Free Member

I *heart* my tubeless wheels. Pacenti SL23 rims, Hutchinson Atom Galactik 23mm tyres. Absolute swine to get them on but I knew it would be. If I ever get these tyres off I’ve got some 25mm Schwalbe Ones to go on. I think my tyres are usually around 80psi (74-75kg rider) but I don’t check them very often. If they are firm enough, they’re firm enough… My next challenge is deciding when to replenish sealant; I’ve done about 1000 miles on these, can’t hear anything sloshing around, but then I don’t think I ever did.

domderbyshire
    Free Member

Replenish sealant every six months?

munkster
    Free Member

Hmmm, these have been on just getting on for 4 months. Probably time for me then, don’t think I put quite as much in as I possibly should have either.

Vortexracing

I have the same tyres on some Hope Alpha 400’s. I must admit they are great, I’m running 80 front and 85 rear and weigh 66kgs.

Had a great 50 mile ride around the trough of Bowland yesterday and I must say I was very impressed, rolled well and seemed the ride really well. Obviously the lower pressure helped take the edge of some of the rougher roads.

I must admit I’m a bit of a convert 😀

cheers_drive

I will try 90 front, 95 rear and take it from there. The tyres are 25mm and I’m only 65kg

I’m 95kg and run those pressures on tubed 23Cs, have only pinch punctured once in 10k miles. Most people run far too high pressures.

Haze

Fusion 3 on Pacenti here, not had them long but very happy so far.

23c at 80 psi for a 65 Kg rider, only change I’d probably make would be to go for 25 next time…

ian martin
    Free Member

I’m running Fusion 3’s on Alpha 400/Hopes and have not punctured in approx. 2000 miles and love them, I run them at 85 front and 90 rear and weigh just under 80 kg. I was using Specialized S-Works with tubes before which rolled really fast but are not tubeless, they would be my pick if they were.
    Next tyres I fancy getting are Bontrager which are available in a bigger size and are lighter than my 23mm Fusion 3’s.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I run about 75/80 F/R on 25mm Bonty R3s and Ones on the best bike and a bit less on the commuter with 28mm Ones. Lots of grip and no issues.

23mm Atoms are mega skinny. I fitted some the other day to a mate’s bike.

domderbyshire
    Free Member

Thanks for all the input, especially concerning pressures. Looking like 80F/85 rear is the way to go.

MrSmith
    Free Member

I run 23c ones on wide Easton RT rims at 75/85 and would go lower still on 25c (I’m 66kg)

domderbyshire
    Free Member

I’m happy to report that the tyres held pressure overnight. I’ve just dropped them to 75F/80R, so we’ll see how I get on with that.

domderbyshire
    Free Member

First proper ride out this evening at 75F/85R. The bike felt fast, smooth and comfortable. Considering the lack of hassle setting up tubeless and the tyres coming in a at £30 each from Germany, I don’t see why tubeless for roadies isn’t isn’t as popular as for MTBers. It’s ace!

Vortexracing

I don’t see why tubeless for roadies isn’t isn’t as popular as for MTBers. It’s ace!

with a good 1000 miles under my belt mainly commuting, I would have to agree, any new wheels/rims in the future will have to be tubeless compatible for me.

😀

orangeboy
    Free Member

Been Useing Spesh tubless tyres for the last year or so. 60 kg and pump them up to 80 every few rides and often find them at 40 when they become a bit odd feeling.
    No flats at all

ransos
    Free Member

How do the Schwalbe ones size up compared to other brands?

Vortexracing

How do the Schwalbe ones size up compared to other brands?

They seem to match the conti’s I have on the other bike/wheels

cynic-al
    Free Member

80kg, got a 23 F and a 25 R, 70-80psi, tho probs drops to 60 now and again.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

If you have a reverb dropper post bleed kit syringe just take out the valve core and screw the syringe in. Plunger out. Pour in sealent. Usual goes down ok with a few taps or use the plunger. Works a treat on tubeless tyres.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Road Tubeless Success’ is closed to new replies.