Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Road tubeless repair.
  • jackoinmoss
    Free Member

Anyone going to step up as an expert?

I did 35 miles while being sprayed lightly with stans sealant yesterday. Just when I thought it had sealed it splurged the remaining sealant all over the garage floor, so do I:

-Keep adding sealant until it seals
    -Take it off and try to patch to inside
    -Use those little plug thingys (Not sure how I know the direction to push them in and a little scared i will make a small hole bigger)
    -Try different sealant currently bog standard stans.

I hope for clear concise solution to be offered now, however as with all mechanicals I expect all of the above and some other options…

everyone
    Free Member

Honestly I don’t really see the point in road tubeless. I’d be far more inclined to get some really nice open tubular-esque tyres with some good latex tubes. If you want less faff then some lightweight butyl tubes will work wonders as well.

jackoinmoss
    Free Member

Thanks for that…

Anyone got any other ideas other than buying new tyres because I will just get another tubeless one.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Haze

Not sure this is of any help since I’ve not needed to repair one yet.

I’d clean and patch the inside, maybe even a bit of superglue in the external hole depending on size?

manton69

How big is the hole? If it is not too big (poss 3mm and above) then you should use the plug. This is is a proper repair that will last. The patch method is also ok, but not one that works well out on the road as you will probably have a load of gunk on the inside of the tyre and if they are as tight as mine they are a sod to get on and off again. The sealant with rag in rather than the small granular material may also be of use, but I don’t have much experience of that.

As for the “Why tubeless on road?” all I can say is that the small flint and thorn punctures that I used to get have pretty much stopped. That is enough reason for me, but the price of the tyres is pretty steep, so it is not all good 🙂

jackoinmoss
    Free Member

It looks small, <1mm I thought it would seal having watched all the videos.

To start with I though it was raining but then my brain worked out this was unlikely given the clear blue sky.

It seems to hold up to 40psi but when I put 100 back in at fails again.

My only worry with the plugs is if I push it through at 90 degree to trye and the hole is say 45 degree to the tyre will i just be stabbing holes in an expensive tyre?

Really like the tyres (pro one)

angeldust
    Free Member

‘Honestly I don’t really see the point in road tubeless’

Well, the amount of times you will have to stop to fix a puncture will be minimised. Is that not reason enough? There won’t be many occasions that sealant does not fix a hole.

Anyone got any other ideas other than buying new tires because I will just get another tubeless one.

Just put a patch on the inside. The plugs work well on MTB tires, but the I imagine the ‘knobble’ the plug creates will be visually very obvious on a road tire. Don’t expect you would feel it though. Make sure your sealant isn’t diluted/out of date, which can reduce its effectiveness.

jackoinmoss
    Free Member

The plan is to tip in some new sealant it has been in there 3 months (ish)
    Will shake it and put a bit extra in.

If this does not work the patches are coming out I think.

next question what is best for cleaning it off the frame, and bars, and forks and brakes etc.

jackoinmoss
    Free Member

I spoke to schwalbe and they recommended adding sealant and letting it pool in the punctured area with tyre at low pressure overnight.

This morning it held 110 psi we will see how it goes on a ride now?

Also baby wipes worked great getting sealant off frame etc.

ransos
    Free Member

I spoke to schwalbe and they recommended adding sealant and letting it pool in the punctured area with tyre at low pressure overnight.

This morning it held 110 psi we will see how it goes on a ride now?

Also baby wipes worked great getting sealant off frame etc.

Good tips, thanks.

(I’m just about to convert my Pro Ones to tubeless…)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Road tubeless repair.’ is closed to new replies.