Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Road tubeless help please
  • JonEdwards
    Free Member

So I’ve HAD 2 working road tubeless setups – one 23mm Ones on SL23s, the other 25mm Pro Ones on SL25s. Easiest tubeless inflation ever

For various reasons I’ve had to loan my SL25 wheels out, so I thought I’d try the lighter, fatter Pro Ones on my summer roadbike with the SL23 wheels.

I’ve got the front inflated with a struggle. The back isn’t even beginning to be interested in inflating. This is with a compressor. I can’t take the valve core out as my airline screws on to that. getting one bead seated with a tube won’t work as the tyre is too narrow and too tight to be able to get the tube out without breaking both beads.

My usual fail-proof method of neat Fairy isn’t working. I’ve just got a wheel, the floor, myself and all the relevant tools covered in the stuff and a flat tyre. I’ve tried a ratchet strap around the circumference too, but that won’t stay on now everything is slippy.

Issue seems to be that the tubeless tape has deformed into the spokeholes and despite the tyre being a (very) tight fit on the rim, there’s essentially a series of vents all the way round which are just pissing the air out. I don’t have any more tape the right size for that rim.

Ideas?

I’ve hit that point where it either needs to “just work” or something is going to get (badly) damaged.

Thanks

uwe-r
    Free Member

My tip – Start again from scratch. Tyre off, tape off, clean the whole thing and start again, this time with more tape.

Also check the valve is sealing inside, on a couple i have had to build up a layer of rubber (Using a puncture patch with a hole in stuck over the valave hole) to screw the valve into.

Haze

I had similar, on an identical setup only the beads were actually ‘sealing’ in the spoke well and wouldn’t snap onto the rim. I only realised after setting it down on a bucket to seal the walls and noticing the tyre and rim weren’t concentric.

I eventually re-taped the rim and it happened again but the neat Fairy trick rescued me second time around.

Not sure if this helps but I’d try re-taping.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    onandon
    Free Member

My off the wall technique which has worked for 15 years and never failed.
    Put tyre fully on the rim. Place flat on bucket. Take a tyre lever and stick in under a brand fill with water from the hose.
    Once full, hit it with a track pump or compressor –

Once seated just press the valve and the air pressure will force the water out.

I’ve never found a tyre/ wheel combo this won’t work with.

cp

try a roll of selotape you may have lying around just to do the initial seal across all those deformations?

Also can you remove the core from the valve and just hold the air line to the valve stem?

ransos
    Free Member

I found that the Pro Ones seal a lot more easily if you inflate them with a tube and leave overnight.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Road tubeless help please’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts