Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Road Tubeless – do they really feel any different?
  • Digger90
    Free Member

I’m contemplating getting some Hunt Race Aero Wide wheels and going tubeless, probably Schwalbe Pro One TL tyres in 25mm.

To be honest, I’m not so concerned about puncture resistance (although that’s a bonus, obviously) – what I want is a nice, light wheelset and tyre combo that rolls extremely well and has a lovely, comfortable feeling.

I keep reading spiel from Hunt and other sellers that road tubeless ‘feel’ much better than tyres with inner tubes, but extensive Googling around doesn’t produce much in the way of actual owner experiences.

Any input regarding the feel from anyone who’s owned and ridden road tubeless?

oldnpastit

Nicer and faster, IMO.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

yup they do thanks running http://road.cc/content/review/175734-schwalbe-pro-one-tubeless-tyre

I’m running 25mm pro ones. 80 front 85 rear. Plus no punctures whats not to like?

pdw
    Free Member

Personally, I’d be amazed if you could feel any difference. A quick Google throws up this:

http://bikeblather.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/a-compendium-of-tubeless-crr-results.html

Which shows one tubeless tyre that’s faster than a GP 4000S with latex tubes, and a bunch that are slower. The difference between the top 2 (Crr of 0.0033 vs 0.0034) is worth about 4s in an hour TT. That’s not the kind of difference you can feel.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

IMO they feel like they roll very well but don’t offer the same cornering confidence as a really nice clincher or tub with lightweight or latex tube. I think it is because the sidewalls/carcass isn’t as supple with tubeless.

That said, I have Pro One tubeless on one set of wheels which I use when I have a decent ride to a race or when punctures are likely to be an issue.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I’ve recently come the closest I’ve been to contemplating trying tubeless, after killing two tubes while trying to fit new 28mm Grand Sport Race tyres on my FatNotFat wheelset. 👿

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Never noticed any difference with Road tubeless to be honest.

angeldust
    Free Member

2 punctures in 2 years in many miles on my road bike (both when the rubber was very well used). Worth it for that alone imo.

fanatic278
    Free Member

I think I can tell the difference of Michelin Power (tubed) vs Schwable Pro One (tubeless). I feel the same speed but am running 20psi lower, so it’s like a magic carpet ride. I don’t think I’m fooling myself.

Downside is that setting them up took two attempts. And they need pumping up again before each ride.

onandon
    Free Member

Had road tubeless on three bikes but removed and went back to latex tubes and gp4000s.

Gravel bike is still tubeless

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I won’t be going back to tubes on my road or MTB bike. I know what the advantages are having used them since 2010.

Why not experiment ? Buy the wheels and some tubeless tyres? Give them a try.if you don’t like them run them until their worn out and go back to tubes. You e not lost anything.

oldnpastit

Personally, I’d be amazed if you could feel any difference. A quick Google throws up this:

http://bikeblather.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/a-compendium-of-tubeless-crr-results.html

Are those tests all at the same pressure? I run my tubeless tyres quite a bit lower.

wildc4rd
    Free Member

Tubeless using the Bonty AW2 in a 28mm, feels smoother and my average times have dropped ever so slightly on known routes according to Garmin (last part may be coincidental). No issues with the setup after I took some emery cloth to the inside of the rim (tape wouldn’t stick).

Its worth it for the smoother ride alone, running 65 rear 60 front, no issues with cornering instability and they hold pressure at least as well over time as they did with tubes.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Road Tubeless – do they really feel any different?’ is closed to new replies.