Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Road tubeless – anyone convinced ?
  • scaredypants

Last ride of the year on my roadie – commuter with guards from now

Just so happens I got a flint through the tyre just before the end of my ride. It’s cut quite badly and I’m not going to ride it again so will be buying a new tyre

Wheels would take a tubeless (and lots of shitty flinty roads).

Do tubeless road tyres stop minor punctures or is pressure too high to reseal ?

And, will I die ?

mboy
    Free Member

Here’s a thread I started the other week on the subject…

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/tubeless-on-road-bikes-experiences

Limited tyre availability and cost of the tyres seems to be quite an off put right now for most. General consensus seemed to be that most reckoned there were far less benefits for tubeless on the road than offroad. I’m still keen to give it a try, but in the summer, with some nice slicks I reckon.

weeble
    Free Member

Thinking about it for CX next year, but limited tyre choice is a pain

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

not convinced despite running compatible wheels. seems to be an expensive solution to a non-problem (since when was running low pressures on road desirable?).

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

not convinced despite running compatible wheels. seems to be an expensive solution to a non-problem

Lower rolling resistance and better puncture resistance? I looked at it as I’ve got Stans rims but decided it looked more like a more user friendly alternative to tubs* than an alternative to tubes and clinchers.

*maybe it’ll take off with wide/aero rims which don’t get their full benefit from tubs which are too narrow but riders not wanting to lose the advantages of tubs?

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Tubeless Racing 1’s here. Not noticed any punctures being sealed yet, bit being able to run them at 85psi means a much more comfortable ride. That alone is worth it. Not really any hassle to do either, three sealed right off and removable cores meant the stand went in easily.

scaredypants

expensive solution to a non-problem

My problem is (usually tiny) bits of flinty shite making holes in my tubes

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Lower rolling resistance

not convinced of that- aren’t tubeless tyres thicker than tubed, so the resistance effects of compressing rubber will be very similar(hutchinson Fusion 3 weighs 290grms, about the same as a decent tubed tyre and tube). For MTB the USP is allowing lower pressures without pinchflatting, and lower pressure is not something I’m looking for in a road tyre.

mudshark
    Free Member

lower pressure is not something I’m looking for in a road tyre.

Gives lower rolling resistance though! On less than perfect roads anyway.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I like it as I prefer the feel and grip from running softer tyres. If you dig 110psi then it’s not for you.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Road tubeless – anyone convinced ?’ is closed to new replies.