Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Road Triples – Your pictures / suggestions please …
  • OCB
    Free Member

I’m in the middle of sourcing some new compact road cranks, and if that wasn’t bad enough to start with, I find I’ve now become road-triple-curious too. So, other than suggesting I don’t fit a triple … 😛 what’s good / not good.

It’ll be going on a skinny tubed steel road bike, so I’d ideally like something with a more ‘traditional’ appearance than the ‘modern’ Shimano stuff. The transmission is a mix of Shimano 8 & 9 spd parts (using friction shifters, so it all works fine / will work fine). External or Square Taper BB is good – both are working for me.

… and if that wasn’t enough, can I have some pictures too please to help me visualize how it might look.

😉

RustySpanner

Have a look at the Stronglight stuff from Spa Cycles.
    I’ve a double on the road bike, it’s excellent.
    The triples look great.

chakaping
    Free Member

Hi, I’ve got an FSA Omega triple (9sp) in silver cluttering up my garage that you can have for £10 plus postage.

I’d suggest not fitting a triple though.

😉

boxfish
    Free Member

Have been running Ultegra 6603 cranks for 5 years. They’re not as angular in design as the newer stuff, and I can still get spares from Germany. Oddly enough, I have recently picked up some cheap 6750 stuff to convert to compact!

I rarely use the granny ring, only when things are super steep and my legs are cooked from a day in the saddle. I looked on it more as future-proofing against the ravages of old age. 😆

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Dont get a triple – get a compact.. 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

Ride a triple and still rip their legs off – it really annoys them 8)

robdob
    Free Member

I don’t understand why people are so against triples. I wouldn’t have a compact myself. This is my Racelight with an Ultegra triple:

You still have the nice high gears for blatting along the flats and downhills – I do use the 53/11 combo most rides! – the middle at 39t is “just right” for the hills and the 30t inner great to get up those mega steep W Yorks hills when you are tired or you meet Shibden Wall :YOWSERS: or when loaded up and bit and bimbling along.

toys19
    Free Member

I have a triple and an MTB cassette/mech on my racer..

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

An older campag or shimano ultegra series triple looks the best I reckon.

It’s not as embarassing as using a compact with a 32 tooth rear cassette either!

fatmax

I used to have a triple on my old C’dale R600 – i think 52-39-30 x 11-28. I really like low gears for the odd trip to the Lakes, Helvellyn Tri etc, and I’m a big unfit 14st lump.
    Just bought a Canyon though which came with 50-34 x 11-32, and I much prefer having just the two rings up front, but still keeping the bail out gear. I’ve got a day doing the Fred Whitton Challenge route soon, so happy to take any pish taking on the chin 😀
    Personally I prefer the look of the double too.

souldrummer
    Free Member

I’ve run both compact and triple, and whilst a compact is fine for most the riding I do round here (Surrey/Sussex) I much prefer the triple when I go abroad especially in the Ardennes and the Alps. Admittedly I’ve not tried running a mtb cassette with a compact.

xcstu
    Free Member

Ya triple too… not a fashion victim 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

I don’t understand why people are so against triples

I went into it with an open mind, and actually expected a triple to be just what I’d need.

Found I was changing rings at front all the time though, perhaps due to the undulating but not properly hilly terrain where I used to live. Couldn’t wait to stick a compact on instead.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I have triples on all my steel road bikes. They are more for touring than fast day riding, so the extra gears are welcome. I seldom use the 52.

FOG

A vote for Ultegra triple. Mine is an early 10spd and is excellent. I’m not fit and can only keep up with my roadie mates on big climbs with a granny ring. Another mate with a slightly better level of fitness than me switched from triple to compact but struggled with it.
    I you think it might be necessary, why wouldn’t you? People decide what should work for everybody on their own criteria, you decide.
    Oh , there wouldn’t be any point in STW in that case, would there?

RustySpanner

This is my kind of thread.

I love old road bikes, but that Secteur above is a thing of beauty.

Compact with a 28 here, but I struggle at places like Buttertubs/Shibden and round Calderdale.

Can’t afford new shifters, so an mtb cassette & rear mech next time for me.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Road Triples – Your pictures / suggestions please …’ is closed to new replies.