Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Road trip to France (and possibly elsewhere) show me the riding!
  • alwillis

So me and the Mrs are in the process of buying a van for our summer holiday (long summer between graduation and starting the world of work). We were thinking along the lines of road and xc hardtail each in the van with a tent etc, and drive to europe for 3 weeks or so.

Basically aside from buying the relevant IGN maps and linking up roads and trails, where do people recommend? I was thinking the Vosges, Jura sort of area, rather than the proper alps- quieter, nice long road and XC rides sort of thing.

All routes/ advice on campsites etc welcome! Going in June BTW.

ianv
    Free Member

If you have a van, you might not need too many campsites.

Vosges is great, haul up and loads of little tracks back down. There is a number of FFC centres in the area and the riding around Lac Blanc, St Marie les Mines and Greubweiler is excellent.

013 by ianvincent, on Flickr

The road between the top station of Lac Blanc and La besse has loads of little tracks where you can park up.

Jura, only been to the area around Bugy (another FFc centre). Really nice and quiet with loads of riding.

Haute Verdon, a lot further but beautiful, not too busy, and assured good weather. Allos and down the valley towards Castillane is good. There is a really nice site called the Pommiers in the village just down the valley from Allos, or you can park the van in one of the top carparks at Allos ski station (awesome little bike park)

049 by ianvincent, on Flickr

Another area worth looking at is the Vercours around Villard de Lans. There are loads of trails (FFC centre)and its really close to Grenoble.

This might be useful
    http://www.ffc.fr/a_VTT/a_SitesVTT/index.asp

beanum

If you’re heading for the Jura then Metabief is worth a look. There are chairlift accessible runs of different length and steepness from an old World Cup downhill run to quite big tours…

I’ve no idea about camping facilities nearby though. Pontarlier and Besancon are the nearest big towns…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

[video]http://vimeo.com/album/1988585/video/44634547[/video]My favourite (album full of other awesome trails)

ianv
    Free Member

Also worth considering:

The Pyranees Orientale Les Angles, loads of waymarked tracks and a bike park.

029 by ianvincent, on Flickr

Parking for vans is free or a really nice campsite at La Lagonne towards Mont Louis

poonprice
    Free Member

mikewsmith, love that video…. We’re off to Whiteroom this July and I can’t wait, also checked out your Mt Buller video on Vimeo, dry and dust what dreams are made of, hope to get to Mt. Buller later in the year when we emigrate.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Road trip to France (and possibly elsewhere) show me the riding!’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts