Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • "Road Tax"…Grrr. Anyone with a few minutes to make a complaint to the ASA?
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Just caught the ad for the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV on the telly. They’ve been a bit naughty… 🙂

[video]http://youtu.be/1jK0b5WHZlo[/video]

Happens around 20s if you can’t bear the whole 30s.

Make a complaint online to the ASA here. (only takes five minutes). The ad was broadcast between 2145 and 2150 26/05/2014 on Channel 4.

Fueled
    Free Member

I dont understand your objection, paying road tax is indeed a thing of the past…

Besides that I think you are being a little bit pedantic.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I dont understand your objection, paying road tax is indeed a thing of the past…

That’s a good (if a little facetious) point. Indeed it is. But not because you drive a car with ultra low emissions…because it was abolished years ago.

As for pedantry, to be fair, it’s not my style, but I’m not keen on a car company helping to perpetuate the “Road Tax” myth.

GregMay
    Free Member

Technically not incorrect though, paying road tax IS a thing of the past.

I get why you’re grumpy, but there not grammatically incorrect.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I get why you’re grumpy, but there not grammatically incorrect.

🙂

My complaint to the ASA wasn’t regarding their grammar. I assume yours was intentional? 😉

chewkw
    Free Member

I pay £260 road tax so do I get a refund? 🙄

How much are yours?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I pay £260 road tax so do I get a refund?

You don’t. (Unless you’ve worked some personal arrangement out with HMRC.)

bruneep

is this a viral advert campaign? I’m now tempted to look at the outlander.

GregMay
    Free Member

My complaint to the ASA wasn’t regarding their grammar. I assume yours was intentional?

Sure, why not. Not like I get paid to write for a living…oh wait I do. That’s why we have editors.

Anyway, hush hush now that you’re shown to be wrong about your/you’re/ur/ewer (choose as you see fit) “complaint”.

Junkyard
    Free Member

always happy to help out a fellow handwringer
    I feel certain my grammar was impeccable, as it always is.

Jamie
    Free Member

(Unless you’ve worked some personal arrangement out with HMRC.)

I have. I don’t pay them, and they send me to jail. 😡

zoo200
    Free Member

Car tax you mean

chewkw
    Free Member

Jamie – Member

(Unless you’ve worked some personal arrangement out with HMRC.)

I have. I don’t pay them, and they send me to jail.

😆

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Anyway, hush hush now that you’re shown to be wrong about your/you’re/ur/ewer (choose as you see fit) “complaint”.

😆

However, I’ll engage…

So, in the ad, Mitsubishi say “…with emissions [blah blah blah], paying road tax is a thing of the past…”, can you explain how you infer that to be correct, other than the phrase “paying road tax is a thing of the past” taken in pure isolation being in itself correct, as it was abolished years ago.

Gribs

You’ve just reminded me I need to renew my VED. Interestingly (or probably not) googling “road tax” brings up a link to pay it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You’ve just reminded me I need to renew VED. Interestingly (or probably not) googling “road tax” brings up a link to pay it.

Direct.gov.uk recognises that there are a lot of folk out there that’ll never be convinced. They’re nothing if not helpful. 🙂

andyrm
    Free Member

Nope – not reporting.

Turn of phrase used to ensure message conveyed clearly.

Car is obviously better for environment than competition so that’s good.

Have you reported ALL the bike brands to the ASA too for questionable performance gain claims with 650B, or are you just a car hater?

Anyway I’m off to have a look at this motor now – looks interesting. Cheers for the heads up.

BigJohn

I suppose the OP shouts at the TV if somebody says registry office instead of register office

rendo
    Free Member

I find it strange that the OP can be accused of being pedantic, and is being pulled for using an phrase which (may not be correct) but is certainly an accepted term to describe VED.

IanW
    Free Member

Agreed DD but the convinced are already convinced so all you’ll get on here is baiting from the Clarkson wannabes.

Complain to the ASA

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

BigJohn – Member
    I suppose the OP shouts at the TV if somebody says registry office instead of register office

Not something I’d ever noticed tbh. Clearly, you have. 🙂

IanW
    Free Member

What you’ll need-

Channel: CI
    Brand: Mitsubishi
    Item: Car
    Date:26/05/2014
    Text:
    The manufacturer is seeking commercial advantage by suggesting owning this car will avoid the need to pay road tax. Road tax hasn’t existed since 1937 so nobody pays it regardless of the car they drive.

The term road tax also infers motorist who pay VED a tax on their cars emissions, are actually paying for and have some additional right to the road. This misconception fuels animosity between road users and increases the likelihood of harm to vulnerable road users.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Cheers IanW! 😀

That’s worded more clearly than my angry tablet-screen cracking complaint last night.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Christ, the OP must be a hoot at parties

konabunny
    Free Member

I don’t think there is a basis for a complaint because no-one is being misled. You’re just being pedantic.

“The term road tax also infers motorists…”

Does the term infer that or imply that? You know, seeing as you’re being pedantic…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I don’t get invited to many Boba. 🙁

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I don’t think there is a basis for a complaint because no-one is being misled. You’re just being pedantic.

I think you need to look up the meaning of “misled”.

Jamie
    Free Member

I remember when the OP was fun 🙁

Drac

The term road tax also infers motorist who pay VED a tax on their cars emissions, are actually paying for and have some additional right to the road. This misconception fuels animosity between road users and increases the likelihood of harm to vulnerable road users.

That’s a bit misleading.

andyrm
    Free Member

Jesus wept. For all the Daily Mail/Middle England Outrage that gets lambasted on this site, here is a prime slice of “too much time on their hands and complaining”.

More important stuff to worry about than an advert.

Cheer up.

hora
    Free Member

Ok its not road tax.

Its annual car tax.

i’m struggling with why the government wants it not to be seen as road/car tax though?

konabunny
    Free Member

I think you need to look up the meaning of “misled”.

Okay: no-one is being materially misled which is the standard adverted to (a-ha) by 3.1 of the Broadcast Advertising Code.

You’re still being pedantic. Do you complain when people say “Union Jack”?

Speeder

And people wonder while there’s an, often derogatory, term used for people that frquent this forum – STWers. 🙄

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

here is a prime slice of “too much time on their hands and complaining”.

I’ve spent more time reading and replying to this thread than it took me to do an online complaint to the ASA. Which in itself is some kind of fail, I’m just not sure which kind. 🙁

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Do you complain when people say “Union Jack”?

Not something which crosses my mind, no. Clearly it has crossed yours. Any more straw men? 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

i’m struggling with why the government wants it not to be seen as road/car tax though?

I just wish we had covered this before or the internet could explain why churchill removed it it 1937

Best of luck on your quest to find the holy grail of facts

DezB
    Free Member

He could come to mine! 😀

Hora can come too, cos it’s a “Stating the Obvious Party” 😀

GrahamS

I’m with the OP, complaining has had some limited success in the past:

Peugeot scraps promotional references to ‘road tax’; Fiat refuses to do likewise

But it is still very common:

googling “road tax” brings up a link to pay it.

Indeed, and that link refers to “vehicle tax”, “car tax” and a “tax disc” – it makes no mention of “road tax” at all.

In other news, they plan to rename National Insurance as Earnings Tax but I suspect our generation will continue referring to NI for many years to come 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

He could come to mine!

Hora can come too, cos it’s a “Stating the Obvious Party”

Googles unrequited 😥

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Phew…I was wondering where you were Gee! 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘"Road Tax"…Grrr. Anyone with a few minutes to make a complaint to the ASA?’ is closed to new replies.