Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Road stems on CX bikes – standard spec. or Will I Die?
  • nedrapier

I want to try a shorter stem on the Peregrine. I had been thinking of cheapy on-one mtb version, but I’m off to ride some of the SDW tomorrow, so I’d like to pick one up from Evans, Cycle Surgery or Condor on the way home tonight.

Reckon it’s OK to pick up something budget roadie if that’s what’s on offer?

I’m thinking if CX bikes are generally specced with road stems, then I’d assume that they’re built to take what I’m likely to throw at one on the Peregrine.

Or what?

Ta!

nedrapier
    Teetosugars
    Free Member

I run a standard 31.8mm road stem on mine.

I’ve not died yet.

nedrapier

I’ve not died yet.

Promise?

matthewlhome
    Free Member

it will be fine. is there actually any difference between a road and mtb stem any more?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Yeah you’ll be fine, I swap stems around all the time. Not DH riding or stems and road but YKWIM

nedrapier

That’s what I thought, to be honest, I was about to buy one a while ago, but the guy looked at the nobblies and “No,no. Not for for off-road.” (french)

That was just enough to make me think “pfff… I’ll get the cheapy on-one then.”

But I didn’t, and now I’m in a hurry again.

Cheers!

JoB
    Free Member

CX bikes had road stems on them for about 100 years before MTBs were invented, you’ll be fine 🙂

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

3T ARX pro, run them on my MTB and CX bikes, (with matching bars obviously), lovely

rOcKeTdOg

I’ve got a road stem on all my mtbs

jonb
    Free Member

If you’re worried about the stem then you should be worried about the bars as well surely?

Coleman
    Free Member

Yep. Ritchey carbon road stems on all my bikes, mtb, cx and road ( except the cruiser – alloy quill).
    Not planning on dying just yet!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Road stems on CX bikes – standard spec. or Will I Die?’ is closed to new replies.