Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Road SPD recommendations please … with float
  • cinnamon_girl

Similar float to Egg Beaters would be good. Definitely don’t want to feel trapped!

As always, thank you so much. 🙂

Ed2001
    Free Member

Take a look at speedplay as you can alter the float to suit you.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Time i-clic. Dreadful name, great pedals.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Look Keo’s with Red Cleats, summit like 10deg of float in each direction

peteimpreza

Two or three bolt?

SPD-SLs if you go three bolt with roadie shoes. Use the yellow cleats for float.

Or

If you use Crank Brothers off road try there Quattro pedals on road and use the same shoes and cleats.

I can loan you a pair of Quattros if you would like.

druidh
    Free Member

CB Candys. I use them for both touring and commuting. Did 260km in them last weekend and they were just perfect. Unless you are after the “ultimate efficiency” of a road-style cleat and shoe combo, I see no reason to go down that route.

Ed2001
    Free Member

Look Keo’s with Red Cleats, summit like 10deg of float in each direction

speedplays 0-15 deg and anything inbetween you can also alter so diff float on each leg (if you really wanted to) btw this is from lifelong look user but if I started again I would definately go speedplay.

Haze

I went from Candy’s to iClic, a lot more solid without feeling “trapped”.

Weirdest thing at first was getting used to one-sided.

speaker2animals

I’d probably go with Speedplay if I was looking to use road shoes from new again. As said Look Keo with the red cleat for float.

Do you really want/need road shoes/pedals? For my riding now I have realised that spd shoes are fine. It allows you to use a casual pair of cleated shoes for tours etc and maybe some XC race shoes if you are feeling fast some days. My personal choice would be the XTR (or the coming XT) “platform2 trail pedal for foot support.

fasthaggis

If I didn’t have these
    Old Dura Ace with loads of float

I would use these

520s

Taff
    Free Member

Loads of float in my Looks

cinnamon_girl

Thanks very much for the replies. 🙂

Pete – thank you for your kind offer and whilst I think Egg Beaters are a brilliant design, they are very poorly executed. Hence I don’t use them anymore, only on the unused shonky bike!

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Got some Shimano r540’s you can have for a tenner. Used but not abused.

mboy
    Free Member

whilst I think Egg Beaters are a brilliant design, they are very poorly executed. Hence I don’t use them anymore, only on the unused shonky bike!

Why a shonky design? I’ve been using Candy’s (prefer some sort of cage on the pedal) for years without any hiccups at all.

FWIW, now I’ve got a road bike too, I just use the same pedals on that. Most of the local cycling club all use MTB pedals too it would seem (well, the less serious ones anyway, the racers all use proper single sided roadie jobs). The ability to still be able to walk in a shoe with recessed cleats wins out for me any day.

buffalobill
    Free Member

+1 for Look Keos here. And thats with years of Time Atacs on the mtb

PaulD
    Free Member

CG,

I use Shimano SPD A515 single-sided on my road bikes.

I have a spare pair you can buy for £10 (or just try out).

They use regular (recessed) SPD cleats.

PaulD

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Road SPD recommendations please … with float’ is closed to new replies.