Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Road Shoes
  • Elmo
    Free Member

So i thought i’d buy a road bike.
    Its on its way.
    Meanwhile i thought i’d better sort the pedals and shoes.
    The pedal problem has been sorted with some from CRC.

But the shoes, Jesus, THE SHOES!

Maybe i should have redistributed the budget a little better.
    Perhaps I should have investigated the true price of shoes, rather than guess and assign an obviously inappropriate meager figure.
    But i didn’t and i haven’t.
    So with a rather small budget who can suggest some good shoes?
    There are cheap ones out there obviously, but they look hideous and the reviews are poor. Anybody suggest the moon on a stick good/cheap shoe?

Thankyou

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Shimanos are good value shoes and some reasonably cheap ones as well.

scaredypants

cancel your pedal order and use mtb shoes and spds unless you’re planning half-day rides

bradley
    Free Member

DhB entry level road shoe does me…£60 I think.

bradley
    Free Member
    Elmo
    Free Member

Scaredypants-I’ve some Shimano pedals on order. I wear flats for my MTB, thought i’d better get some proper road shoes. Half day rides aren’t out of the question.

bradley- I saw that shoe and got excited! Not available in 43 till early may!

Thank for the replies though. I’ve been looking at some of the cheap Shimano shoes. Wasn’t sure if i was missing a little known shoe that was a belter. There’s plenty of brands on ebay I’ve not heard of, but i cant find reviews so I’m reticent to buy those.

mrmo
    Free Member
    turneround

Got a new set of 2012 s-worksin 11 you can have for £135 🙂

Elmo
    Free Member

mrmo- they look nice, and the right price! have you used a pair?

turneround- let me think about it……………. 😆

Sandwich

Tried Cyclexpress? They have bargain shoe and pedal offers.

jam-bo

got some shimano r073 in silver i’ll sell you cheap. barely used, too narrow for me.

mrmo
    Free Member

i’ve used Carnac shoes in the past, and would again if i could find a supplier, They are good shoes, but getting hold of them is ridiculous!

iainc

on one were doing crazy cheap carnacs a few months ago…

mboy
    Free Member

New Shoes?

😉

I had the last pair off Planet X I think in a 45. Anyway, did 50 miles in them yesterday, honestly the most comfortable pair of cycling shoes I’ve ever worn, and by some margin!

Be careful of fit on road bike shoes, more so than with MTB shoes. I can get away with Shimano’s off road no problems, but because I pedal harder, and for longer, on a road bike, I really noticed heel lift a lot with some Shimano road shoes, so the much narrower SIDI’s suit me much better.

Elmo
    Free Member

So should I be a bit careful with the shoe fit?!

I’m a 9 normally, so thought 43 would be fine, Should i go bigger?

Definitely liking the Carnacs then.

mrmo
    Free Member

I’m a 9 normally, so thought 43 would be fine, Should i go bigger?

don’t go bigger just because, problem is different shoes are different shapes, what fits one person will hurt someone else. Sizing isn’t an exact science, unfortunately.

Only way to find out is try shoes on.

iainc

I bought a pair of the on one/ planet x carnacs and went for same size as my other shoes. They were quite wide and a bit short so sent them back and bought my 4th pair of Spesh shoes from the LBS 🙂

Elmo
    Free Member

I can’t really try anything on locally, i’ll order a set at my normal size and just be prepared to send them back i guess!

bam74
    Free Member

If you’re a 9 then I would recommend a 44 if you’re buying Shimano, however you should really try as many shoes as you can to see what fits you best. If you’re going to ride any sort of distance you need comfortable shoes.

LardLover
    Free Member

Get a pair of the new Bont Riot’s. I wished I knew about them before buying my Bont Vapor’s.

Under a £100 (ok, £99.99). They’re available this month I think.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Road Shoes’ is closed to new replies.