• This topic has 12 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by djtom.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Road shoe with 2 bolt SPD cleats
  • cubist
    Free Member

After a couple of longer road rides recently I have realised that covering distance at speed with my DZR Mambas is going to result in very sore feet and also they weigh a ton.

I am after something cheap but really like the look of the Giro Republics. Can anyone recommend anything similar in style that won’t break the bank or my feet?

JAG

I’ve got a pair of these, they work very nicely and have a 2 bolt SPD fitting. They can be had for as little as £56 (Evans Cycles).

philwarren11
    Free Member

I use these with shimano MTB spd’s on my road bike. I think they can be had cheaper elsewhere.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-r065-road-spd-shoes-2016/rp-prod127714

Always wondered if its easier to clip in using road cleats on these shoes compared to 2 bolt on road shoes.

avdave2

Shimano RT82 SPD Touring Shoes

I’m using these on my road bike. I wanted to stick with 2 bolt cleats as I already had winter boots with 2 bolt cleats. They are very comfortable and not as narrow as other Shimano shoes I’ve owned. They also have the cleat recessed so much better for walking around if that’s important. Looking at some of the shoes that accept both types of cleat it’s not always clear whether the 2 bolt type is recessed.

johnnystorm

Shimano’s new urban/touring shoes seem to be influenced by Giro’s/Rapha’s offerings:

Shimano RT4 and RT5 new for 2017 linky

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Oooo,

Those RT4s look nice..

simon_g

RT82s as well here, although they very much look like a cycling shoe. Not light either, but perfect for 10 mile commutes when I’ve got a bit of a walk and stairs to negotiate.

RT4 & RT5 both look great!

steezysix
    Free Member

I use Specialized Rimes for MTB and Road, stiff enough for all day pedalling but easy to walk in and have nice grippy soles. The new lace up Shimano ones look really nice but not sure if they’re out yet?

cubist
    Free Member

Shimano RT4 and RT5 new for 2017 linky

The RT4s look really nice. I guess they are not available yet given my lack of ability to find them on sale online.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

The Giro Republics are really nice.
    With some judicious shopping on USA google shopping I got a pair sent over for about £45 all in

bensales
    Free Member

I’ve just had a look at Shimano’s Road range and it looks like nearly every shoe barring the top end one or two are actually now dual SPD/SPD-SL compatible. Not all have recessed cleats though.

DaveP

I use Mavic shoes, I presume they are actually a MTB shoe, but have a very stiff sole and are reasonably light (not as light as a proper road shoe – mostly because of the grips on the sole) but are really comfy.

djtom
    Free Member

What size are you? I have a set of Shimano RT51 shoes in size 44 (but come up small) for sale here: classifieds.

They take a recessed cleat. Make me an offer if they suit.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Road shoe with 2 bolt SPD cleats’ is closed to new replies.