• This topic has 86 replies, 46 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by hora.
Viewing 7 posts - 81 through 87 (of 87 total)
  • Road saddle- where to start?
  • Kryton57

No I’m suggesting your not as non-conformist as you may think.

My advice, use the money you’ve saved to get a really nice man bag… 😀

hora
    Free Member

nick1962
    Free Member

The Boardman saddle that came on my CX bike is surprisingly comfortable for me and there are usually lots on e bay unused.I think the roadie brand snobs find them too conformist so probably right up your street 😉

IanW
    Free Member

At the risk of providing a predictably STW answer I find just about any saddle is OK until Im **** at which point just about any saddle is torture.

Hence you should get an reasonably acceptable saddle then MTFU.

edit: Hora its a short but well worn step between bibs under baggies and full lycra, denial is often part of the journey but the outcome is inevitable.

Nobby

Nobby on the mountain bike over the past few months I’ve had bell end numbness, etc since I’ve gone from my WTB rocket V (that had to be binned as it fell apart) and onto what I could find in the spares box. Did worry me alittle what it must be doing to nerves etc down there longterm.

The real issue is when folk don’t notice.

What he was saying is that by not getting a saddle that fits many are putting pressure on the urethra itself which doesn’t tend to manifest as pain or numbness. This can eventually cause ‘scarring’ internally which, if untreated, can worsen over time to the point where flow is restricted. Many cyclists, as they get older, find themselves having to get up & pee during the night &/or more frequently than most during the day – this can be a sign that there is a restriction and the bladder is not emptying itself properly when you go. Fast forward, as the restriction worsens, the bladder retains more urine which will usually start a series of urine infections. These become more frequent as things deteriorate and worst case is the infection backs itself up the system to your kidneys. This is something you really don’t want.

The current trend towards saddle fittings etc is one of the very few ‘innovations’ not to be a load of marketing bull.

I’m not dismissing any other opinions but, from personal experience, I’d never buy another saddle without making sure it’s the right size/shape for my ample butt.

butcher

I ride in baggies, I ride in lycra, and sometimes I ride in lycra with baggies over the top. And to be perfectly honest, I’ve never really noticed any difference.

hora
    Free Member

Nobby, pun on name.. thank you for your insight. It should be a new (and important) topic I think. Even a stw mag article

Viewing 7 posts - 81 through 87 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Road saddle- where to start?’ is closed to new replies.