Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Road Route Challenge – Your toughest Local Ride
  • rusty90
    Free Member

No definitely not affiliated to a trotting race though rusty

Fair play. Hope you’re faster on a bike than that bloody horse was round a trotting track 🙂

Rorschach
    Free Member

Semi local (I can ride to it) and a little over at 160k but 3300m of climbing.
    I’ve done all of it….just not in that order 8)
    Vast majority on very quiet and scenic roads
    http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/fullscreen/665848228/
    Similar distance/climbing available from my door just not as good 🙁

mooman
    Free Member

Bit of a classic route for around these parts.

70 miles.
    2222 meters of climbing.

mooman
    Free Member

Or this one for punchy little climbs.
    40miles
    1855 meters of climbing

Rorschach
    Free Member

Oh worked out how to screenshot

miketually
    Free Member

I’ve done Darlington to Reeth to Tan Hill to Barnard Castle to Hamsterley to Darlington, which is just shy of 100 miles with about 1.5 miles of ascent. On a SS MTB for a bit more interminable spinning fun.

palmer77
    Free Member

I can’t be bothered to edit it down to the distance criteria, but I have at the very least cycled this route. It was 5,614′ or 1,711 metres.

[/url]Screen Shot 2015-03-31 at 20.14.01 by sastrugi1977, on Flickr[/img]

EDIT: Or this one at 7,707′ or 2,349 metres…

[/url]Screen Shot 2015-03-31 at 20.31.46 by sastrugi1977, on Flickr[/img]

ontor
    Free Member

This starts and finishes from my door…

166Km long, 3645m of climbing…

https://www.strava.com/routes/2043506

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Did this with a mate back in summer solstice 2013, overnight from Aberwristwatch back home

Original plan was to head from Builth to Painscastle and then up Gospel Pass from Hay but the weather was rather cold and wet and discretion over valour meant not heading up there at 1am but rather coming through the middle.

The nasty lumps are in the Cambrians at the start definitely.

lemonysam
    Free Member

There’s some quality looking rides amongst these. Thought there’d be some right bastards in southern scotland but not so far…

scandal42
    Free Member

Rutland Bumps

Not too bad for an area with no hills, it’s well under the 100 and just under 5,000ft

lemonysam
    Free Member

Rutland Bumps

Good effort, I reckon I’d find it much harder work doing that amount of climbing without the satisfaction of having reached the top of something.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/edit/172064600/

Less than 80 miles and more that 6000ft. Great ride too.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ohh I’m nicking the Hell of the Worth one and possibly a few others..

I will get a Hampshire on together when I get home..

fasthaggis

Dave Lloyd Mega

and (I think) the original Mega

One of the toughest days on the bike that I have had,some of those Welsh hills were brutal.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Less than 80 miles and more that 6000ft. Great ride too.

It might just be me but I can’t see that one, is it public?

lemonysam
    Free Member

Dave Lloyd Mega

That looks an amazing route! That might go on the todo list for summer.

fasthaggis

Lemony

It was ,as it’s title suggested ‘A Mega Challenge’ .
    The original start from Ruthin almost immediately went up a stupid steep little road ,that had people falling off if they were over geared.Then some of the steep valley roads had the bonus of being covered in lichen 😯
    It looked like they never saw the sun,so even if you had proper gears you could still get a bit of wheel spin.Still,what doesn’t kill you an all that 🙂

lemonysam
    Free Member

Then some of the steep valley roads had the bonus of being covered in lichen
    It looked like they never saw the sun,so even if you had proper gears you could still get a bit of wheel spin.Still,what doesn’t kill you an all that

Ahhh… like riding in nidderdale. I wheelspan the whole way up two stoops once.

langylad
    Free Member

Ransos, the Le Terrier looks a bit of a beast. That climb from Slaidburn towards Bentham is an amazing stretch of road. Living in Clitheroe i have ridden most of this route, but never in chunks of more than 50 miles.

langylad
    Free Member

I suppose it is worth mentioning that these are Brad’s favourite training rides, must get bonus points for that 🙂

brooess
    Free Member

There’s a bit of an incline on the cycle path up through Hyde Park from Hyde Park Corner which can catch you unawares. Does that count? 😀

whitestone
    Free Member

Did the “Ride with Brad”/ Pendle Pedal a couple of years ago which went over Waddington Fell then the climb over Cross o’ Greet from Slaidburn. Neither of which were too bad. Going up Longridge from Chipping was a beast, then near the end you got Nick o’ Pendle followed by a whole host of unnamed climbs. By that time I had ridden everything and was determined not to get off and walk – but they were definitely hard work!

lemonysam
    Free Member

There’s a bit of an incline on the cycle path up through Hyde Park from Hyde Park Corner which can catch you unawares. Does that count?

I’m assuming it’s a segment?

MrNice
    Free Member

Local to my parents’ place (I rode from the door). Ride it twice if you want to hit 100 miles.
    big French hill

lemonysam
    Free Member

After some fiddling, trying to have less repeating and spend more time in the proper hills. I have come up with:

Distance: 169km
    Ascent: 4034m

as a bonus, it now takes in the four highest passes in england.

I’m pencilling it in for the summer.

Teifiterror
    Free Member

Had a play around to get as much as climbing as I could for 100k, ended up with a bit more distance but a decent amount of elevation gain. 2500m in 108km

https://www.strava.com/routes/2053045

Edit: Just noticed the top of the route looks like a face

lemonysam
    Free Member

Good of you to save the biggest til the very end too!

wanmankylung
    Free Member

It might just be me but I can’t see that one, is it public?

It is now

http://www.mapmyride.com/gb/gorebridge-sct/middleton-loop-route-172064600

rusty90
    Free Member

TeifiTerror – can I suggest that at 32.4m you turn left and take the minor road over Mynydd Llanllwni? The A485 between Llanllwni and New Inn is a nasty, dangerous bit of road.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

langylad – Member
    Ransos, the Le Terrier looks a bit of a beast. That climb from Slaidburn towards Bentham is an amazing stretch of road. Living in Clitheroe i have ridden most of this route, but never in chunks of more than 50 miles.

If you think Le Terrier is hard for that area you ain’t seen nothing like this. Ladies and gentlemen I give you The Bowland Badass :
    https://app.strava.com/routes/590569
    Ok it’s well over the criteria of the OP’s 100 miles but at 167miles, over 18k of climbing taking in some of the best hills the Bowland fells have to offer it’s one hell of a ride 😀

Teifiterror
    Free Member

TeifiTerror – can I suggest that at 32.4m you turn left and take the minor road over Mynydd Llanllwni? The A485 between Llanllwni and New Inn is a nasty, dangerous bit of road.

That would have been the preference but was after elevation gain, that change would drop off about 90m climbing and put it at about 103km which just pushes it towards a bit easy, but you are right that would be a sensible change

rusty90
    Free Member

that change would drop off about 90m climbing and put it at about 103km which just pushes it towards a bit easy

‘a bit easy’ 🙂
    You could make up most of the difference by continuing on down to Brechfa, left on to the B4310, then left again to join your original route back up to Llidiad Nenog. Worth it IMO to avoid that horrid bit of A road.

brakes
    Free Member

we have an evening club route in North London (well inside the M25) which is only 30 miles but has 2,500′ of climbing.
    hardly scenic by some of the standards above and the climbs tend to be short and sharp – but you can get a good hilly workout.

Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Road Route Challenge – Your toughest Local Ride’ is closed to new replies.