Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Road route advice – Brighouse to Sherwood Center Parcs
  • woody2000

So, off to Center Parcs next week and I’m going to ride there/back. Looking for a bit of route advice/local knowledge please.

Rough route I was looking at is:

Over to Huddersfield, then pick up Penistone Rd (A629/A61) to Sheffield.
    Ideally want to avoid the Sheffield ring road if I can, then get to the A6135, then the A616 and finally the A614.

What are those roads like? Any better suggestions? Looks like I could go Hudds/New Mill/Crow Edge and skirt Langsett Res then pick up the A6102 to get to Sheff which be a bit more scenic.

I don’t do much road riding, and I don’t go over that way much at all so have no clue about the roads in that neck of the woods.

TIA 🙂

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

You’re mental 😉

woody2000

Needs must mate – 2 kids (+associated kid stuff) & 3 adults would mean 2 cars or me taking the bike. Bike it is 🙂

Now, am I mental cos those roads are going to kill me? 😀

ebygomm
    Free Member

National Cycle Route 6 will take you from Penistone to Sheffield to Workshop to Sherwood Pines. Not sure how circuitous it is.

ton

m62, m1, junction 29 left to mansfield, follow signs to clipstone. 😉

woody2000

Tony – if they won’t let you and your electric dream machine on the motorway, they definitely won’t let me on! 🙂

ebygomm – I’lll take a look at that, ta. I guess part of that will be on the Trans Pennine Trail – suitable for a Roadrat with 32mm tyres?

ebygomm
    Free Member

It’s a mix of on and off road, I don’t know about the bit to Sheffield but beyond that the off road bits are compact gravel path type affairs, nothing too bumpy. Might give you some route ideas for some bits if nothing else.

You should be able to see the route on Sustrans mapping site, I think they colour code the on and off road bits.

TheFlyingOx

I used to cycle Sheffield to Huddersield a fair bit. You should be fine doing that bit. A629 all the way down to the Sheffield Wednesday ground. A616 from Stocksbridge into Sheffield winds through loads of trees so tends to be a bit of a rally stage for the local yoot. A629 is a bit more scenic and has better visibility for speeding neds. If you want to avoid city centre madness and dual carriageways, then it’s kinda difficult. If it was me, I’d probably head over to the east side of Sheffield via A6102 Herries Road, past the Northern General Hospital, towards Meadowhall, then through Darnall, Orgreave, Swallownest and then you’re on the A57. It’s going to be gash cycling through the middle of Sheffield, whichever way you go.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Road route advice – Brighouse to Sherwood Center Parcs’ is closed to new replies.