Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Road riding question
  • joolsburger
    Free Member

How long would you expect a middling fitness rider to take to cover 16 miles of relatively flat road on a racer not an MTB.

Thanks
    J

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Anywhere between 45mins-1 hour…

Obviously, loads on here will say 30mins or less… 😳

Junkyard
    Free Member

What he said dependent on effort

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Yeah, just under an hour.

theflatboy
    Free Member

should be able to do it in under an hour fairly comfortably.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Depends on a lot of stuff. Type of bike, traffic, inner city or country roads.

Also are we talking a middling fitness cyclist or a person of middling fitness who’s just picked up a bike for the first time?

Averaging it all out I would say between 50-60 minutes.

BristolPablo
    Free Member

There are quite a lot of dependencies, luggage, road surface, traffic density and stopping at junctions for lights etc, on a road bike its pretty easy to average 18 mph without busting a gut so for anyone with an average fitness base, and as other as have said, 45 minutes should be easily achievable.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

Depends on the wind. But I’d say between 50 and 80 minutes. But there are lots more variables to consider.

on a road bike its pretty easy to average 18 mph without busting a gut

I must have been doing something wrong all these years.

45 mins would be 20mph, that’s pretty good going without trying too hard.

thomthumb
    Free Member

an hour at relaxed pace.

RustySpanner

16 miles without a cafe or a picnic? In this heat?
    ARE YOU MAD?

mogrim

About 3 hours, but that includes a stop to session a roundabout in the middle.

LapSteel
    Free Member

1 hour and 20 of your earth minutes…..
    No idea on the flat though as I never ride anywhere remotely flat

stevewhyte
    Free Member

on a road bike its pretty easy to average 18 mph without busting a gut

PMSL

I right whatever you say.

If the peron is bike fit, i.e. used to riding then they should be able to do it in an hour maybe a bit less, but as everyone has said so many other factors can skew an average.

Tail wind of 30 mph or headwind of 30mph
    Traffic
    Road conditions, smooth taramc or load of bumps on crappy B road.

Somewhere on the 50mins to 80 mins scale, faster than 50 mins and you aree starting to get pretty quick and are more than an occasional cyclist, slower than 80 mins in good conditions and you should take up golf.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Just taken me under two hours to do this distance on my roadbike, however it’s a warm day there were hills, at the top of one was a lovely little pub with a great beer garden……..

stevewhyte
    Free Member

That sounds like the start to one of your films

swavis

Just under 52 minutes according to my average speed this morning. Although is 375m assent considered fairly flat? 😕

cookeaa

Middling fitness mostly on the flatyou say? – you’ll chop it out in an hour or less, or else the STW Lords of average shall judge you “Unfit” and cast you into the abyss!

foxyrider
    Free Member

going fairly fast and steady 18mph 16/18*60=53 mins 😉

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Middling fitness… if it takes you longer than an hour, you’re not middling fitness.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

an hour

45 minutes would be 21mph average which would be very quick.

m1kea
    Free Member

I’d budget an hour.

BristolPablo
    Free Member

Blimey, if all it takes is a bit of ropey maths to get you all foaming at the mouth with rage you really should get out more. ok, so 53 minutes… on the flat…with no junctions…and no tail/headwind… and no herds of wildebeast migrating through your locale…..and no pubs…… and whatever

BTW you write whatever i say. My maths may be a bit ropey but my spelling and grammar are a bit better….

pebblebeach
    Free Member

Nothing to do with maths though is it. 16 miles in 45 minutes is fairly quick, 18mph without busting a gut isn’t realistic on average.

SamB
    Free Member

Depends on conditions:
    – on the aero bars on a closed flat course I can do it in 45 mins (21mph)
    – on the hoods going through London traffic & lights it would take me 68 min (14mph)

BristolPablo
    Free Member

Fair enough, s’pose 45 mins is a bit rapid given the original question was making reference to “middling fitness”…. take an hour but any more and you hand in your man card.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’d say 70mins allowing for cake and a pee.

Gary_M
    Free Member

take an hour but any more and you hand in your man card.

Well that would depend on conditions wouldn’t it. Whilst I’m sure you can maintain a 16mph average into a headwind not everyone can.

pingu66
    Free Member

60 mins 😯

I’m no where near as fit as I want to be but average 13mph on the flat rough tracks where I put the miles in to get my fitness up and thats on an out and back so hopefully wind compensated.

I’d say 75 mins. 60 mins or less is good going on an MTB I thinks. I’d be made up.

jamesco

I reckon the poor b*gger OP is just fancying commuting to work now the weathers picked up a bit,none of this ^ is helping. Tell you what mate try it tonight after tea, take your mobile with you ‘cos your lass is gonna have to come pick you up ‘cos you forgot lights ( thats what you tell her Nudge wink). While you have a crafty pint half way back.

m1kea
    Free Member

60 mins

I’m no where near as fit as I want to be but average 13mph on the flat rough tracks where I put the miles in to get my fitness up and thats on an out and back so hopefully wind compensated.

I’d say 75 mins. 60 mins or less is good going on an MTB I thinks. I’d be made up.

Different on a road bike though and if you’re riding over 50 miles a week or more, 18mph average on the road should be very doable.

Last time I solely rode my full sus on the road was this ere time trial

I’ve found it very difficult to get close to 21mph in full bounce mode.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Road riding question’ is closed to new replies.