Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)
  • Road riding in the rain – how to make it enjoyable?
  • JonEdwards
    Free Member

I absolutely cannot get my head round going out in the pissing rain for a road ride. That means I’m throwing away an awful lot of useful riding time. I used to be able to do it when I had a commute to do (there was a reason to get drenched to the skin), but now I work from home it’s just “pleasure” riding/training and I just pussy out of anything that’s not perfect conditions.

No matter what, I end up soaked to the skin. Proper waterproof means I’ll be soaked from the inside out. Windproof will give up the fight after 5 minutes. Mudguards? Meh. Just delays the soaking process

I’m sufficiently skinny that any descents mean I end up shivering unncontrollably, even if I was boiling in the bag at the top of the climb

I hate the feeling of water running down my sleeves into my gloves. I hate that drowning feeling of inhaling rain/spray.

Can’t go screaming downhill, which is one of the things I love about roadieing. Crap braking, unpredictable grip.

I hate the whole “go out for an hour, then spend 2 hours trying to get warm again, washing kit, cleaning the bike” thing. Road riding should be quick, clean, simple.

Being up on the moors on NSL roads in piss poor visibility with only a silly blinky light or 2 for safety puts the wind up me. It’s misty in Sheff at the mo, it’ll be proper foggy up top.

…and then I feel such a complete pussy as I wave my girlfriend off on her 10 mile commute across the tops to Chesterfield, which I was supposed to be doing with her. I can’t even call myself a big girly wuss, cuz the girls are out there getting on with it!

So what makes you WANT to go out on a roadie and get cold, wet and NOT miserable? What makes you actively look forward to it? Sitting at home, wallowing in self pity and looking out the window wishing I was riding does not make a fit, fast rider. I KNOW that. But I still cannot be arsed with getting drenched for “pleasure”.

nemesis
    Free Member

I get a perverse pleasure out of riding in crap conditions. Don’t get me wrong, I prefer a nice warm, dry day but once out, I do enjoy crap weather. Maybe because back in the day, I often knew the people I’d be racing wouldn’t be out training in it.

Not to mention that the alternative is a turbo and that’s just a million times worse than rain.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Mountain Biking

HTH

cloudnine
    Free Member

Move nearer to the equator…

Nobby

I always WANT to ride – if I didn’t just because of the weather I’d probably halve my time on the bike each year. Decent kit helps but I doubt there’s anything that’s ‘perfect’ for foul weather.

Apparently rules 5 & 9 apply too. 🙂

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

MTFU 😀

IanW
    Free Member

Because if you don’t the next sunny day you will get dropped by everyone who did put some effort in. If that doesn’t bother you stay in and do something else.

skellnonch
    Free Member
    nemesis
    Free Member

cloudnine – Member
    Move nearer to the equator…

I live in Lagos (90ish miles from the equator IIRC). It rained quite a lot in the rainy season 🙂 It was warm though.

rendo
    Free Member

I think your making a mistake by dismissing mudguards. If like me you live in the west of scotland, when its not raining the remainder of the time the roads are wet, and this still means wet feet and a wet @rse, and subsequently feeling cold.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Turbo? I had the chance to go out the other day but turbo’d instated just because it looked a little bit windy 🙂

If I am road riding in the rain I try and go for a shortish one and make it quite a hard effort to keep warm. Pick a route where you know you’re not going to get a soaking from traffic and there aren’t tricky descents to contend with. I don’t bother with proper waterproofs, just a gabba over some layers and decent overshoes. I can put up with being soaked for an hour. Most of the time though I’d just turbo or roller as it’s not worth the hassle and the inevitable coughs and colds.

Edit: oh and proper mudguards really does make riding in the rain so much more bearable.

njee20
    Free Member

I get a perverse pleasure out of riding in crap conditions. Don’t get me wrong, I prefer a nice warm, dry day but once out, I do enjoy crap weather.

This.

Mountain Biking

Not this, I’d rather road ride!

Mudguards definitely help, not sure what you’re on about there, it’s surprising how little rain actually comes from the sky versus the road. Plus that water is going straight onto your feet/arse. In summer if it rains I wear as little as possible – soggy gloves are horrible, just go without. If it’s winter I go for a decent soft shell (Gore Oxygen), rarely wear a proper waterproof.

JoB
    Free Member

Tip 1 – don’t go out in the rain if you don’t have to, if you ‘work from home’ there’s always another day, use the rain to catch up with work to allow a ride in more pleasant conditions.

Tip 2 – buy proper waterproof clothing, spend the money, it’s really really worth it. a decent Goretex, gloves and overshoes will make all the difference.

Tip 3 – if you think your blinky lights aren’t good enough, buy better ones.

whilst there can be a certain pleasure in getting wet on the road bike, if it starts when you’re actually out on a ride, it’s almost impossible to get yourself out there if it’s already pissing it down.
    if i *have* to go out in the rain, because i’m getting cabin-fever, i have a route that takes in all the hills around town, all on the quieter streets, and a do that as fast as possible for a couple of hours, it means that if it does all go wrong and wet and cold i’m never far from home, and at least i’ve got out the house

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Mountain biking isn’t really an answer. Too much faff for a quick ride (cleaning bike, me, kit will take way longer than the ride), I wouldn’t actually get anywhere interesting in the time available. I dislike trashing soggy trials by riding them in unsuitable conditions.

Turbo. I’d rather be fat and slow.

rickmeister
    dazh

I much prefer a wet road ride to a wet MTB ride these days. Staying warm is the key. If you get cold, wear more clothes. Arm warmers, leg warmers (or full tights), base layer, two jerseys + windproof and overshoes all get worn even at this time of year. I find that once I’m out in it and moving I don’t really notice the rain. The wind on the other hand, don’t think I’ll ever get used to that.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Rule #9// If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Fair-weather riding is a luxury reserved for Sunday afternoons and wide boulevards. Those who ride in foul weather – be it cold, wet, or inordinately hot – are members of a special club of riders who, on the morning of a big ride, pull back the curtain to check the weather and, upon seeing rain falling from the skies, allow a wry smile to spread across their face. This is a rider who loves the work.

and Rule #5, obviously.

In all seriousness, if you dont enjoy it dont do it. If you feel guilty about not training go to a gym or sit on the turbo. Unless youre paid to ride your bike its a hobby not a chore.

Sometimes I get a real kick out of riding in the rain, possibly a mix of masochism and smugness/achievement. Other times I sack it and dont feel guilty.

If youve got the cash isnt the Castelli Gabba kit supposed to keep you dry enough/warm enough?

bigG
    Free Member

I agree about getting a certain sense of achievement out of getting miles in when it’s peeing down. I’ve accepted that I can’t stay dry. Mudguards stop the gritty ass crack syndrome and at least stop the rooster tail of muck up my back. As for what makes me get out, I enjoy riding my bike whatever the weather. My job keeps me inside 99% of the time and away form home a fair amount. I see all too many folk out enjoying their bikes when I can’t. I have two young kids so have to squeeze in rides when I can. Some of the best rides I’ve had have been 40 mile blasts in the dark in winter when it’s tonking it down and I’ve left the house at 2100 after everyone is asleep. I’d suggest leaving the garmin at home and just go out and ride, the swish of tyres on tarmac has a profound destressing quality for me after a bad day.

I focus on staying warm rather than dry and take a spare dry pair of gloves. Changing into dry gloves after a couple of hours can be a real morale boost for some reason.

I use a CX bike with canti brakes and swisstop pads in the wet. Braking is as good as I can get without moving to a new bike with discs. To be honest though I’ve not struggled to stop the bike on any occasion.

There is no guaranteed way to make it more fun, or less grim. It just is what it is, riding a bike in the rain. It DOES make you more hardcore though, fact.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Have to say Jon I am a little surprised to hear this from you. I know you’re made of sterner stuff but perhaps age has caught up a little?

Mudguards really do make a difference. Commuting into London from Dorking in February during the torrential rain we had forced me to get a second commute/training bike with full mudguards and they definitely make a difference especially to your backside!

Other than commuting, my general rule is not to start a ride in the rain unless it’s been several days already since I got out. Even if the heavens open when you’re only ten minutes down the road, that’s still a whole lot better than starting out in the rain.

Totally agree about mountain biking not being the answer either. It is a lot of effort for a short ride!

Hope all is well with you!

ransos
    Free Member

I focus on staying warm rather than dry and take a spare dry pair of gloves. Changing into dry gloves after a couple of hours can be a real morale boost for some reason.

Yup. The best clothes in the world will not keep you dry – water runs down your neck inside your jacket, and down your legs inside your shoes. Skin’s waterproof, so you just need to keep it warm.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Guards do make a difference, don’t get me wrong. But they don’t keep me dry.

I’ve yet to find a jacket that lasts more than 1/2 an hour in the proper wet. Currently on an Endura Helium. It’s OK, decent fit, but like all waterproofs cheap or expensive, it works properly for 2 or 3 rides then starts to let in. What ever you do with sprays or wash-in stuff, it never actually goes properly waterproof again. And then there’s the big holes – neck, wrists, waist…Waterproof shorts – again, they keep you dry a few minutes longer, but they don’t keep you DRY.

The only light I’ve seen that I’d even begin to trust in thick fog is a Hope District, but I can’t justify the expense for the limited amount of miserable weather/night riding I do. It’s hard enough seeing cars in this crap, so expecting a typical driver to be looking out for some nutter on a bike, just ain’t realistic.

I think largely it’s the wet hands/drowning feeling that puts me off most, that and as soon as I start shivering (and I really don’t deal with temp changes well), I just curl up and die. As Jo says, if you get caught out in it, you just have to put up with it, but if I can spot it coming before I go out, I’ll just procrastinate and avoid it. That ain’t good enough.

wwaswas

it depends how windy it is and how much you value your dignity I guess but have you considered;

You still get ventilation from underneath (but will stay fairly dry if you use guards) so they can be fairly heavy duty and watertight

tomd
    Free Member

I get some peverse pleasure out of riding in absolutely filthy conditions. Light rain or drizzle is probably a bit harder to deal with.

snownrock

I tend to MTB if its raining, or go on the turbo. I dont mind if it rains once im out on the road bike but generally wont go out if its already raining.

I agree with sentiments entirely about staying warm over staying dry though, its how wetsuits work.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Mudguards are a massive help. Other than that, keep it relatively short but high intensity…accept that you’re going to get wet and revel in it!

Ruminate on rule #9 and, as ever, rule #5

molgrips
    Free Member

Proper waterproof means I’ll be soaked from the inside out

A decent waterproof, properly proofed should leave you warm but moist inside. Not perfectly dry, but not soaking either. Waterproofs work in two main ways – Goretex and most others rely on the moisture permeating through a layer of plastic – and for this to happen the moisture needs to condense on the inside of the fabric. And in turn for that to happen it has to be warmer and more moist inside your jacket than outside.

Other fabrics like eVent and Endura’s PTFE are actually made of lots of tiny holes which mean that some air gets through and keeps you drier. Much better for UK cycling, but they need washing and reproofing slightly more frequently. You SHOULD be nothing worse than warm and moist – if not, you are not correctly dressed. Speaking from a LOT of experience riding in pissing rain.

If it’s pouring before I set off (and sufficiently cold) I will wear waterproof trousers too. Very much a fashion faux-pas where roadies are concerned but I don’t give a shit. It’s actually pretty cosy as the rain is pouring all around and cars are spraying you with puddles.

I also dress a bit warmer if it’s going to be wet, because the cold rainwater on the outside of the jacket chills you a lot. Wear more layers.

like all waterproofs cheap or expensive, it works properly for 2 or 3 rides then starts to let in

No it doens’t. Waterproof fabrics do not let water in. What you are feeling isn’t leakage. It’s more likely that a lot of cold rain is making parts of your body cold through contact – and if it’s already damp through sweating this might feel like leakage.

The Endura helium is a cheaper jacket by the look of it, and is a permeable membrane. I think the Flyte is their PTFE fabric and I think shoud be much more breathable and hence feel less wet.

then spend 2 hours trying to get warm again

See above – get your clothing right. But if you’re still cold, just have a hot bath – sorted.

Being up on the moors on NSL roads in piss poor visibility with only a silly blinky light or 2 for safety puts the wind up me

That’s very easily sorted – get decent lights, and plenty of them. Also – don’t ride on the moors – weather is far worse up there.

So what makes you WANT to go out on a roadie and get cold, wet and NOT miserable?

I don’t, particularly, but I WANT to be fit, fast and hardcore. You need to focus on the self-satisfaction you get from being tough, rather than focusing on being a pansy.

In short, MTFU and get out.

nickc

Don’t mind if it starts raining when I’m out anyway, but motivating oneself to start when it’s peeing down already is a tough one, and normally ends with me dithering for a bit before getting the rollers out!!

Agree with JoB, really good waterproofs and overshoes have made a massive difference to my winter/ weather riding

jam-bo

I didn’t realise road riding was supposed to be enjoyable.

scud
    Free Member

I actually enjoy riding in the rain up to the point where it starts to seep into your clothing or down the back of the neck, my problem being asthmatic is that my lungs don’t like it, as much as i want to get out, an hour in the cold and rain breathing hard usually ends up as a cold and chest infection.

I usually therefore switch to either spin bike or Concept II rowing machine in the gym or some weight training.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

For those saying “warm not dry”. How?

As soon as I get a wet torso, I get cold. Simples.

It’s not so bad mtbing – generally the getting shaken around on the descents keeps me warm enough, but the higher speeds (and therefore windchill), and the smoother ride/single position on the bike mean that it only takes a couple of minutes to go from “about right” to “shivering like a leaf”.

It’s weird. If I’ve made up my mind to go out on the mtb because there’s a specific ride I WANT to do, I’ll go out in all kinds of crap and revel in it, and I positively enjoy walking in the rain – much easier to dress to stay dry & temperature controlled. Road I just can’t get my head round.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Adrian as Swarf Cycles (think you know of him?) is making these:

Very sweet.

prawny

I love riding on the road in the rain, not many better sensations than blowing gallons of water off your lips. Less fun in the winter when it’s cold too, but spring wet rides are awesome.

If you don’t like it your knackered really.

I’ve always found a decent (at least part wool) base layer has kept me warm when it’s pissing down, gilet over the top and arm warmers. Very rarely use the waterproof jacket I bought, maybe 3 times in 2 years.

scaredypants

As JoB says, if you work at home bide your time and you’ll get a drier spell in almost any day. If it’s pissing down, do some work.

It’s cold feet that pisses me off: Mudguards & winter boots.
    If it’s your hands, try neoprene gloves maybe ?

Try a waterproof-fronted mesh-backed gilet. They’re ded cheap and should stop windchill and nowhere near as sweaty as a jacket (unless you really mean that you suffer windchill even with a waterproof jacket on)

Thick fog? How often do you see this? Stay home on those days

Lights
    (I have stw-unacceptable views on bright lights at night, so we won’t go there)
    Any half-decent rear light will get you seen. Those smart half watt things or whatever planet-x is flogging are pretty bright. Get them flashing and you’ll be seen if you’re in view (can’t help if there’s lots of bends & stone walls, obv). I always have one or two on flash during daylight rides. If what you really want is for a driver to take you seriously, I honestly think superbright is self-defeating and big is better than bright – but as I said (and then forgot 😳 ), we’ll not go there as my views aren’t typical.

warton
    Free Member

regardless of clothing you’re going to get wet. so you need to accept that…

wet and cold is awful. wet and warm isn’t so bad. merino baselayer, hat, good warm overshoes will all help you stay warm, and get mudguards for wet rides, they will postpone the inevitable.

BadlyWiredDog

Buy a cross bike. Ride mixed-up back lanes and easier bridleways. Ride short. Ride hard. Stick the bread maker on timer and come home to freshly baked bread and fish finger sandwiches. Practice inhaling rain by running on the spot in the shower. If your clothes don’t work, ride nekkid. HTH.

fasthaggis

If a big part of your life is commuting by bike, then it’s all part of the deal and you soon get used to ‘just getting on with it’.
    If you need to do it as part of a training plan , I found that having an event as the main reason behind it ,was the best way to make me ‘get out the door’ .
    TBH ,as long as my arse and feet are dry, I don’t mind the rain that much.

wl
    Free Member

Swap the road bike for a mountain bike and the road for a mountain. Simple.

teasel
    Free Member

If your clothes don’t work, ride nekkid.

Didn’t really need that image.

*reported*

thestabiliser
    Free Member

You only get wet once. Dense-ish softshell on a baselyaer and just get wet, rely on hard work to keep you warm and don’t do long rides just pick an hour-ish lap and blast round it at full beans.

MUDGUARDS

ransos
    Free Member

A decent waterproof, properly proofed should leave you warm but moist inside.

All waterproof jackets have a large hole in the top. Fine for the short commute, but no chance of keeping you dry on a long ride.

I think neoprene and merino are they way to go.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘Road riding in the rain – how to make it enjoyable?’ is closed to new replies.