Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Road riding in the cold/wet
  • XTC_Simon
    Free Member

What clothing do you wear when riding on the road in wet or cold conditions?
    I need to get some new clothing for the coming cold and wet months of this English weather.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Lusso max repel bib tights, Altura Etape over shoes, either a gore phantom or an endura waterproof and a base layer

XTC_Simon
    Free Member

Might seem an amateur question… Do you put the base layer on then the bib tights over the top or the opposite way around?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Base layer, bib shorts then the Lussos

trail_rat
    Free Member

Endura stealth lites

Neoprene overshoes

Endura Winter merino socks

Baabaa long sleve base layer

Club windtex top

Aldi gloves

Buff round neck and over mouth and nose in ultra cold and peaked cap on head

ourmaninthenorth

Bib longs. Endura overshoes. Merino socks (sometimes Sealskinz). Base layer. Jersey. Long sleeve jersey. Wind jacket or gilet. Cap or hat under helmet. Thick gloves with silk liners.

TBH, I’ve yet to find a suitable waterproof jacket, so just hold the wond back and get wet.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Long or short sleeve base layer depending on temperature. Then thermal bib tights (Altura Night Vision this year) a windproof softshell jacket (Sportful Giro). Windproof is best as it breathes a lot better than full waterproof and will keep out all but heaviest rain. Most essential piece of kit are Shimano RW80 winter boots- if your feet are cold you will be miserable no matter how warm the rest of you is. Finally a buff, a powerstretch beanie for under the helmet and a selection of gloves. No need for huge thick gloves, thinish gloves are OK if they are windproof and will be better for controlling the bike. Gore Power SO are as thick as I go.

Vortexracing

Defeet wollie boolies
    Diadora Chili Road Shoes with some Pro overshoes- works a treat

Endura Equipe longs
    Merino base layer
    Gore Contest softshell

or

Gore Path Jacket if it’s honking it down

oh and some Chiba waterproof gloves

plus a Giro merino skull cap with a peak.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Either 3/4s or longs (decent ones rapha, castelli, le-col, santini etc) or for near freezing rides summer shorts and over longs (no pad)
    Merino base layer and then a combination of either long sleeve jersey, thin gilet, thick gilet, thicker rapha L/S jersey and a wind proof jacket.
    Belgian booties or waterproof overshoes.
    Decent gloves and a buff round my neck, always wear a cap under my lid.
    Race blades on the bike.
    I just look at the expected temperature and dress accordingly, I think a gilet is an essential to cut the wind out and a decent merino base layer, you can never have too much kit to choose from 😆

RoterStern
    Free Member

One of the best things for the cold/wet is a set of mudguards. Then I use the Shimano winter boots, Pearl Izumi abfib thermal bibs (water repellent and windproof), a merino base layer and a soft shell top; I also think that there isn’t a decent waterproof jacket (you just end up getting wet from inside rather than outside). A buff round the neck and on the head. Then lastly winter gloves, also from Pearl Izumi. This set up keeps me cozy in temperatures as low as -20 but is way to warm for anything over 10 degs.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Road riding in the cold/wet’ is closed to new replies.