Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • Road riding in MTB clothing.
  • renton
    Free Member

Just done it tonight and got some right weird looks off proper roadies.

What can I wear that won’t make me look like an mtber on the wrong type of bike without resorting to lycra as I look like a badly packed sausage in it :mrgreen:

BIGMAN
    Free Member

Rode my CX bike on the road wearing a wife beater last week! Real man right here!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Don’t bother, the sport’s got a bad enough image as it is.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    renton
    Free Member

How do you mean ??

colournoise

Always happy to look like an MTBer on the ‘wrong’ bike when I hit the tarmac. Even keep the peak on my helmet…

skaifan
    Free Member

You usually get a nod rather than the full hello roadies usually only reserve for the spandex clad or the silent treatment usually handed out the those on knobbly tyres.

damascus
    Free Member

I always wear shorts over my lycra when on the road bike. I’m a mountain biker and proud.

I do however, have a peakless helmet as that gets in the way when I’m on the drops

jeffl

Full MTB clothes when I road ride, baggies, peaked helmet, even use flat pedals 😈

Klunk
    Free Member

baggies here too and a loose fitting top with no pockets.

Saccades
    Free Member

Probably because baggies on a road bike is a pain in the arse.

Flapping about, restricting movement and not as comfortable as just bibshorts.

In the case of roadie clothes it’s all about function with the tight fittingness. As much as it makes you look a Berk, you’re s comfortable Berk.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

MTB clothing is bad enough on a MTB…

simondbarnes

Wear whatever you want. Nobody cares.

Daffy

How about a girdle, then Lycra?

I wear baggies when riding to something that I don’t want to appear at wearing Lycra. Tomorrow my 60mile commute will be on my singlespeed road bike, in baggies as I have a dinner after work.

astormatt
    Free Member

Embrace the lycra! I used to snigger at roadies in lycra but i have been converted since getting my cx bike and doing a lot of road.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Why? Would you wear a rugby kit to play cricket in?

I just don’t get this, “oooh I’m a mountain biker, look at me riding a road bike in my mountain bike gear”

funkmasterp

Full MTB clothes when I road ride, baggies, peaked helmet, even use flat pedals

Same here. Mainly because I’m tight and don’t ride a road bike much. Flat pedals because I’ll want to get off and walk normally at some point. Whatever works for the individual. I’m not a racer and I’m normally riding to a destination.

*don’t currently own a road bike. Just have a Stache, that gets you funny looks from everybody.

nathb
    Free Member

aP
    Free Member

Wot Simondbarnes said.
    Do what you want.

teadrinker
    Free Member

Just going through this now Renton, it’s all about trial and error and have a shop round. I’d rather wear the mtb clothing but it’s just not comfy on the road bike. My physique leaves me looking like I have a rubber ring round the midriff but I found some De Marchi bib shorts and the Pearl Izumi jerseys work fork me.

In all honestly the only person that really cares how you look/feel is you, wear what works you and enjoy the ride 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

THIS

Never gonna wear baggies on the road bike though

wilburt
    Free Member

it’s all about trial and error

Nope, surprisingly folk have figured out what works best.

This subject comes up time and again and there is a market for clothing that both works and causes less anxiety to the fuller figured gent.

The answer certainly not mtb clothing though.

tomhoward

Wear Lycra, but buy it 4 sizes too big, so it’s baggy. As a lot of folk on my commute do.

Looks awesome.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Peaks aren’t a great idea when you’re on the drops.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Proper mtb clothing is road kit!

burko73

Try something like the vulpine hoy top and a smartish well designed pair of fitted shorts like the vulpine gravel short over your bibs. That’s what I go for on my gravel bike. Sort of in betweenie….

mattbee

It was road clothing that made me decide to lose some weight.
    Wife bought me a nice Morvelo jersey in orange (one of my 2 fave colours along with lime green) but my belly made me look like a Terry’s chocolate orange! Lost 5kg to get it to fit & now it looks much better although loads of other kit is now too big…
    But yeah, wear whatever you want although close fitting Lycra is much nicer on the road imho. No flapping about, easier movement of the legs etc… I do still remember the ’90s when we rode mountain bikes in pretty much the same kit…

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Why? Would you wear a rugby kit to play cricket in?

I just don’t get this, “oooh I’m a mountain biker, look at me riding a road bike in my mountain bike gear”

This

weeksy

I went the opposite way last night, i was out in mostly lycra on the MTB but riding only on the road ! Was testing out riding kit for this weekend… Still undecided. I think i need 2 pairs of padded shorts !

reformedfatty
    Free Member

I normally commute on my cx bike in baggies. In my eyes it’s a lot less weird than the mutants who somehow ride in long sleeved hi vis jackets year round.

It also means I can go into the office without fear of distracting the ladies.

renton
    Free Member

I saw your ride on Strava I think Weeksy, fair old ride like.

stevied
    Free Member

Embrace the lycra! I used to snigger at roadies in lycra but i have been converted since getting my cx bike and doing a lot of road.

TBF, most of your MTB kit fitted like lycra anyway 😆

lunge

Lycra works, it may not be flattering but it is the right tool for the job. Have a look at https://fatladattheback.com/, good bike gear for the larger lad/lass.

DrP

Wear whatever you want. Nobody cares.

Tru dat…

However, it works both ways…
    Wear MTB clothing on the MTB because it’s a bit tought, ‘affects the ride less’, and covers the body more..
    Wear full on lycra on the road as it’s more comfortable, faster, and has pockets as needed on the back…

You don’t NEED to wear baggy clothes on a road bike, just to stick two fingers up at da man you know!

DrP

ferrals
    Free Member

I get more refusals to say hello when riding my mtb in lycra /peakless helmet etc. I’m clearly not gnarrcore enough to be acknowledged 😥

TheBrick
    Free Member

The only one I don’t understand is how many people use road SPD’s. Mtb / touring double sided spds are more suitable for 90% of use cases, but don’t win style points for I am a pro.

mattbee

I find road pedals and stiff shoes with carbon soles less likely to give me issues with hot spots, numbness etc on longer rides than mtb ones, even with supposedly stiff soles shoes. More support I guess.
    Plus I have several varus shims under the cleats to correct my knee tracking, can’t get the same amount of adjustment with 2 hole cleats.

rocketman
    Free Member

I used to wear my mtb kit because it was what I was used to but I find actual road kit puts me in a better frame of mind for that kind of riding.

Still a long way from the white bibs/sunglasses/no jersey/no crash helmet look favoured by the Italians last week

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Our bike shed is a good 250m from the changing building at work, even the full on roadie commuters wear mtb spd shoes.

Well fitted baggies make a huge difference, every bit as comfy as lycra.

Wear what ye want.

mooman
    Free Member

Strange types the cyclists who see themselves as mtb-ers

ferrals
    Free Member

Still a long way from the white bibs/sunglasses/no jersey/no crash helmet look favoured by the Italians last week

I actually considered that when it was ridiculously hot, but then I considered rab c nesbitt’s string vest and thought again.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Road riding in MTB clothing.’ is closed to new replies.